Transmission cooling

Started by Ohio Blue Tip, March 16, 2005, 01:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio Blue Tip

I'm running a mild SBC 350 and 350 trans in my 34 coupe, with a walker radiator, with trans cooler in the bottom of the radiator.  I would think that is enough cooling for the 350 stock trans.  What's you opinion?
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

purplepickup

Do you have a stock torque converter?
George

brianangus

You'll be fine---The last 2 rods I built (a steel 31 coupe and a glass 27 roadster) both ran modified 350's with turbo 350 automatics, and the only tranny cooler was the one in the bottom of the radiator. They were daily drivers, and I never had a tranny heating problem. The ride I am currently building, a 31 roadster pickup with chev small block and turbo 350 is going to use a small auxiliary ccoler, because the bottom rad tank is out of a 6 cylinder car, and has a smaller cooling loop in the bottom of the radiator than a v8 rad has.

timkins

Just my 2 cents worth. I removed the trans cooler from the radiator as I could not see adding the extra heat from the transmission fluid to the radiator for cooling. Placed the trans cooler under the car close to the trans and this shortened the lines and it cools very nicely. Again just my personal preference.

Crosley.In.AZ

Ken,

in your area of the country you will be fine.

A high stall converter will need more cooling than a stock type converter
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Ohio Blue Tip

I thought I would be alright as I have a stock converter.  Some years back I ran a C6 behind a hot 429 Ford with just an auxiliary cooler and it was fine.
Tony,
I do plan on some "out west" time, plan several coast to coast tours with this car.  Does it ever get over 70 out your way? :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"Tony,
I do plan on some "out west" time, plan several coast to coast tours with this car.  Does it ever get over 70 out your way? :lol:

I've hit over 140 a few times

:lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)