Add on electrical circuit board

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 15, 2005, 09:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I need to add a few circuits to my 62 Falcon.

At this time I do NOT want to change the whole wire harness, although it probably would be wise.  The Falcon does not have a fuse box as you folks know them. It has a couple of fuses at/on the light switch.

I have taken the Falcon in  a different direction.  There will be a turbo , water cooled inter-cooler with w/pump, cooling fans.  I need more circuits to power this stuff.

A small board with a few fuses , some relays probably would work.  Electrical has never been a strong point of mine. I have installed harness kits and can figure stuff out... I am just real slow at it.  I solder connections , shrink tube, etc

Or mayb I need to look at whole harness while the car is under de-construction ? :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"There will be a turbo , water cooled inter-cooler with w/pump, cooling fans.  I need more circuits to power this stuff.
TURBO??  WOOOHOOO!!! :shock:

Quote from: "Crosley"Electrical has never been a strong point of mine.

Or mayb I need to look at whole harness while the car is under de-construction ? :shock:
Harnesses aren't all that expensive and this would be a good time to do it.  A few extra circuits might come in handy and, for us "electrically challenged" people, they come labeled and have instructions.  :wink:
George

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Crosley"I need to add a few circuits to my 62 Falcon.

At this time I do NOT want to change the whole wire harness, although it probably would be wise.  The Falcon does not have a fuse box as you folks know them. It has a couple of fuses at/on the light switch.

I have taken the Falcon in  a different direction.  There will be a turbo , water cooled inter-cooler with w/pump, cooling fans.  I need more circuits to power this stuff.

A small board with a few fuses , some relays probably would work.  Electrical has never been a strong point of mine. I have installed harness kits and can figure stuff out... I am just real slow at it.  I solder connections , shrink tube, etc

I bought one of these at Haywire for my brother recently.  It looked like a good piece.  He is using one for his main panel as he does not need much on the T he is building.  http://haywireinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HI&Category_Code=FB

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

good ideas and links as always guys.

purplepickuptruckguy....... don't get too excited, the engine is still a inline 6 popper of 200+ cid .  :lol:

We ordered up some custom pi$tons for the 200 Ford motor.  I got tired of waiting for a "deal" on some forged pistons from alocal guy.  Mayb the next Ford inline 6 I build.

We will set the compression at 8.5 or so..... shoot for 15 psi of boost, mayb 18........ mayb a touch of NOS when I get the tune-up dailed in
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"good ideas and links as always guys.

purplepickuptruckguy....... don't get too excited, the engine is still a inline 6 popper of 200+ cid .  :lol:

We ordered up some custom pi$tons for the 200 Ford motor.  I got tired of waiting for a "deal" on some forged pistons from alocal guy.  Mayb the next Ford inline 6 I build.

We will set the compression at 8.5 or so..... shoot for 15 psi of boost, mayb 18........ mayb a touch of NOS when I get the tune-up dailed in

hey cros, just curious, how come you're not going with a 240-300 6?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

btrc

I just got a 63-1/2 Comet a couple of months ago and I was wondering about the fuse box.  All I ever came across was the light switch with the few fuses on it.  Maybe I'll put one of those add-on boxes on too.
You should put your Falcon on a chassis dyno as is to get a before and after reading.  It would be kind of interesting.

Bob
Bob

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
hey cros, just curious, how come you're not going with a 240-300 6?

those engines will not fit the car without fire wall moved back a ways.

More would be better as we all know.   :shock:
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"http://www.kwikwire.com/Add%20on%20Fuse%20Blocks.htm

has several add on circuit boards. you might look there.

== I was lookin at the full harnesses.  I am curious if they would have enough heavy circuits to handle stuff I may add to the car.

probably could add some bosch relays in there with larger power wire feed  and use the smaller circuit wire as a trigger??
Tony

enjenjo

To be honest, the Kwikwire harnesses are probably the best out there. they use heavier wire with thicker insulation than any of them. Lot's of margin built right in. If you decide you want a harness, let me know, I am a dealer. I am also a dealer for EZwire, It's a Snap, Dolpin gauges, and TPI Tech gauges

EMSjunkie

Hey Frank, I don't mean to steal Tonys post, but since you are a dealer,
where can I get a rotary switch for my wiper control?
got an extra one laying around ? 8)

Thanks for your help

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

I have some used ones, but no new ones in stock. you know where an old motor home is setting? They have just the switch you want. If you are lucky, it'll have a delay built into the switch too. Big trucks, Volvo, Kenworth and so forth use them too.

Crosley.In.AZ

let's talk about relays.....

I see the common 12 volt bosch type listed as "with diode , without diode, potted, change over relay, dual 87 contacts" ????

What does it all mean?
Tony

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"let's talk about relays.....

I see the common 12 volt bosch type listed as "with diode , without diode, potted, change over relay, dual 87 contacts" ????

What does it all mean?

With diode, means there is a diode in the relay. :lol: What is does is keep the current from backfeeding through the relay, they are good for isolating circuits with multiple power supplies, or for use on a charging circuit.

Potted means they are sealed with a "potting" compound for use where they are exposed to water, or other weather factors.

No Idea on change over relays

Dual87 contacts are a SPST, that will control two circuits at the same time. In other words, when the relay is on, both termials are hot, when it's off, both terminals are off. This is compared to a relay with one 87 terminal, and an 87a terminal, one is hot with the relay on, and the other is hot with it off.

Bruce Dorsi

A changeover relay is another name for a "Double Throw" relay.

A Single-Throw relay completes a circuit when the relay is energized, and opens the same circuit when the relay is de-energized.

A Double-Throw (aka changeover) relay has normally-open and normally-closed contacts.  ....One circuit is "made" when the solenoid is not energized, while the other circuit is "open."  .....When the relay is energized, the connection is "changed over" so the normally-open circuit is "made," while the normally-closed circuit is opened.    

For those that wonder:

SPST = Single-Pole, Single-Throw
DPST = Double-Pole, Single-Throw
3PST = Three-Pole, Single-Throw
4PST = Four-Pole, Single-Throw

SPDT = Single-Pole, Double-Throw
DPDT = Double-Pole, Double-Throw
3PDT = Three-Pole, Double-Throw
4PDT = Four-Pole, Double-Throw

Often, a Double-Throw relay can be substituted in place of a Single-Throw relay, if the relay socket allows.

A Single-Throw relay can NOT be used where a Double-Throw relay is required.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!