JEGS Mini Starter questions

Started by Dirk35, March 14, 2005, 11:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

I have a JEGS Mini Starter (gear reduction starter, whatever you want to call it), but I cannot get it to crank over. Its for a Ford 302.

1st:  It has the large post and another small post labled ignition. Does it have its own solenoid on it? Why would it for a ford? Do I eliminate the Ford Solenoid I alreay put in the truck (I think this sounds like a good idea)? Or should I just jump the ignition wire from the solenoid to the one on the starter (I think this sounds like a stupid idea to have two solenoids)?

2nd: I cannot get it to crank over. I pulled it out and used the jumper cables and my 97 Explorer. I put ground to the case, and the pos to the large post and it didnt do anything (like it is a solenoid). Then I clamped the pos to both posts, and the starter drive shaft will extend out (like it should), but it will not spin.  Am I missing something here?

Dirk35

The starter in question. Little Post is labeled IGN. Big post is labeled BAT.

Not sure why would have a solennoid when most Fords have the Firewall one. Perhaps newer ones do not have the firewall solenoid?

Okiedokie

Dirk35

I havent called them about the solenoid, taking it to NAPA today to have it tested 1st on the not spinning. Was really hoping one of you guys would have already had experience on this.

Okiedokie

Well, let us know what you discover. A Ford starter with solenoid mounted on it might be of interest.

32coupe

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"Well, let us know what you discover. A Ford starter with solenoid mounted on it might be of interest.

You will probably find that the starter itself will be a standard item, with a solinoid, only the mounting plate is different for different applications.
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

enjenjo

Put a 12 ga wire from the battery post on the starter to the sol post on the starter. Then run the battery cable from the Ford solenoid to the battery post on the starter. It should work that way. It's a universal starter, they just change the mount.

As far as two solenoids on a Ford, most 400 engines had a Delco starter with a solenoid on them, in addition to the standard Ford solenoid.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.