Songy Brakes

Started by timkins, March 12, 2005, 03:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

I just finished installing a "big brake" kit on my 32 sedan. I went from Mustang II calipers w/9" rotors to the bigger GM Calipers and 11" rotors. At the same time I rebuilt the rear brakes from the backing plate out to include all new parts with new drums. Bled the front and rear brakes adjusted them and tried them. Now I have a spongy brake pedal and the brakes do not seem to work correctly. I only tried them on my driveway as there is still too much salt on the roads here in New York so I am not sure that they wont break in after driving for a distance. Did I do something wrong or is this normal???

Fat Cat

Quote from: "timkins"I just finished installing a "big brake" kit on my 32 sedan. I went from Mustang II calipers w/9" rotors to the bigger GM Calipers and 11" rotors. At the same time I rebuilt the rear brakes from the backing plate out to include all new parts with new drums. Bled the front and rear brakes adjusted them and tried them. Now I have a spongy brake pedal and the brakes do not seem to work correctly. I only tried them on my driveway as there is still too much salt on the roads here in New York so I am not sure that they wont break in after driving for a distance. Did I do something wrong or is this normal???

did you also replace the master cylinder with one compatible with the now larger rotors?

Charlie Chops 1940

You might have something there Frank, but when I did the same front brake change a couple tears ago they got better as I think the calipers now are a better match to the 1" bore of the mc I've always had.

Try bleeding a couple more times Timkins. Those calipers can be tough to get the air out of sometimes.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

BLUTO

Did you use silicone brake fluid?

Sorry but that crap will never give you a firm peddle

timkins

No new master cylinder and no silicone brake fluid. I am going to try bleeding the brakes again. Last night after I posted the message I readjusted the rear brakes and it seemed to help a little bit. I guess I will just keep plugging away.

flt-blk

Remember you also need to bed the pads to the rotors.  Stopping in the
driveway is not enough for it all to seat together.
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

timkins

I took the rear drums off and resanded the surface of the drum and checked the contact patch on the shoes. Reinstalled the drums and readjusted the rear brakes, also backed the adjustable proportioning valve all the way out and the spongy pedal went away. Stops good now. Thanks to all for their suggestions.