Alternate Hot Rod Magazines

Started by sal37, March 10, 2005, 04:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolly

Quote from: "Crosley"i recently allowed my subscription to Street Rodder mag to expired. I have received the mag for many years.

I cannot put my finger on the eggzack reason , but I grew tired of their format

I think I know what you mean, too many pages make it hard to store and the format, well like you say, it's hard to put a handle on it, but it jjust doesn't work any more.  

I think it could have something to do with the quality of the Buckaroo products.  However, some of their stuff I find a bit repititious.  Like I may pik up a copy of Super Rod because there's something that piques my interest then I get Street Rod Builder and half the same material is in there.

American Rodder has it's moments, but it's not the American Rodder I loved.  And I'm not talking about the gurlz I mean the home built cars and the variety the original featured.  Rodders Digest is close to the original format, but still nowhere near the irreverent humour of the original, which was soooo good even Mrs carps would read it and almost fall off her chair laughing.

Some of the new 'off centre' littlepages type magaazines are far and away better than the mainstream stuff and they show what life's like in the real world.
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Carps

My current favourite of the mainstream monthlys is Rod and Custom, Custom rodder has also been pretty good lately, but the big surprise for me at least has been Hot Rod.  They lost the plot a few years ago and after collectingg every issue ever printed up to that time, I stopped buying it.  The recently I was flicking thru an issue because the cover image grabbed my attention and now it's back on my regular purchasing list.

I'm still getting Street Rodder but think I too may be bored with it because it's usually the first one into the storage box and the garage whilst the others stay where I can pick them up and review for more than a couple of months.

Fear not, that's not coz I'm getting bored with my hobby.  Fact is quite the opposite, however, the offbeat little magazines, Rodder's Journal, Rod & Custom and the three Aussie rags are the only ones stored in the house for for easy access nowadays.  The model cars and many excllent hard bound 'real books' are taking over the indoors storage space.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Sled56

I can vouch for Newsledder, the new format is spot on .
Theres only one substitute for cubic inches, Supercharged Cubic Inches.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Dolly"
I think it could have something to do with the quality of the Buckaroo products.  However, some of their stuff I find a bit repititious.  Like I may pik up a copy of Super Rod because there's something that piques my interest then I get Street Rod Builder and half the same material is in there.

American Rodder has it's moments, but it's not the American Rodder I loved.  And I'm not talking about the gurlz I mean the home built cars and the variety the original featured.  Rodders Digest is close to the original format, but still nowhere near the irreverent humour of the original, which was soooo good even Mrs carps would read it and almost fall off her chair laughing.

Some of the new 'off centre' littlepages type magaazines are far and away better than the mainstream stuff and they show what life's like in the real world.

QuoteLike I may pik up a copy of Super Rod because there's something that piques my interest then I get Street Rod Builder and half the same material is in there.

yes , that is very true.  We recieve copys of many of the smaller mags at work, same stories/articles/tech in each one a few months apart.

Obviously I grab the mags when I can
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sal37

I know what you mean Tony.  There is plenty of WOW and glitz in Street Rodder and it is good to see cars that are generally well designed/styled and possibly (??) worth aiming for, but high dollar cars are so far out of my budget that they become meaningless.  I often don't even read the articles about them.  More down to earth and achievable cars generally capture my interest - especially if they are traditional/nostalgic.  

The other thing that I have noticed with Street Rodder is that many of the "how to's" are to how to install some companies new whatsit - which again is OK if that is what you want but basic/solid how to's that increase your understanding are often few and far between.

Just some ideas - now for the flame throwers :D  :D

Steve

Sled56

Yea Sal I agree, basic, well build cars with the owners blood and sweat in them have a character that no high dollar cheque book rod has, and there,s the satisfaction of doing the work yourself and being able to pass those skills on and learn from like minded people.
Theres only one substitute for cubic inches, Supercharged Cubic Inches.

ripper

Just got a question for y'all who prolly know this off the top of your head... Hot Rod Deluxe is going again, at least its not the same magazine that Aaron Larsky and crew founded some years back then went under. I only found out a month or so ago.

Lead me to think and now ask...the original Hot Rod Deluxe, how many editions were there before the plug was pulled?

I know later CK Deluxe got up but just wondering about the original HRD? I've got a copy of 1 & 2, just wondering if there were any afterwards prior to CKD?

Thanks in advance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
May The Vehicle You Use To Get There Become The Reason For Going!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PEDDRO

Ripper, only 2 issues of HRD were ever produced. There was a preview issue I believe that came out with a regular issue of Hot Rod but it was more of an insert.

ripper

cool, thanx for that pedro, are the originals worth anything? I recall the hunt for issue one when they were brand new was like a treasure hunt with rumours of them here there but not everywhere. Aaron Larsky sent me quite a few & I gave them all away to blokes who were usting to find them but having no luck. Made a few people's day for a bit :-)

Cheers
May The Vehicle You Use To Get There Become The Reason For Going!

Topsterguy

Hmmmm, might be wrong but I heard Hop Up is history !!??  True?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

river1

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Hmmmm, might be wrong but I heard Hop Up is history !!??  True?

True!!!
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Topsterguy

Well that sucks BIGTIME!  Hop Up and Rodders Journal are the best out there. I recently told RJ that I wasn't renewing my subscription because 1) it's the same price here in Canada, 2) it's on the stands here about 3 weeks ahead of when I get it in the mail because they ship Canada's supply to Ontario to save on shipping, then it goes from there, and 3) like Greedyguys they pad the shipping BIGTIME for up here. By the way, that's also why I've given up on ebay - the sellers there are notorious for padding shipping to make more on their items.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"