Hard to believe

Started by enjenjo, February 26, 2004, 01:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I was working on a convertor dolley tonight, they are used to connect two trailers together for the doubles you see on the interstates. This one is 22 years old, and has 2,871,000 miles on it, that is more  than 5 round trips to the moon. It is on it's second frame, second axle, original 5th wheel, 4th coupler eye, and has gone through more than 100 tires. The brakes have been replaced 23 times, it has been inspected and greased 75 times. The first time I worked on it I was 35 years old, Reagan was president, Fatcat was in junior high, and most cars were still rear wheel drive.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "enjenjo"I was working on a convertor dolley tonight, they are used to connect two trailers together for the doubles you see on the interstates. This one is 22 years old, and has 2,871,000 miles on it, that is more  than 5 round trips to the moon. It is on it's second frame, second axle, original 5th wheel, 4th coupler eye, and has gone through more than 100 tires. The brakes have been replaced 23 times, it has been inspected and greased 75 times. The first time I worked on it I was 35 years old, Reagan was president, Fatcat was in junior high, and most cars were still rear wheel drive.

Sounds like the double betted axe that's been in my family for 300 years.  It's a genuine 300 year old although it has had 25 new handles and 7 new heads! :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

BarryM

I used a lowboy and tractor that a sawmill got from a logger that went broke for $3000. It was a miserable thing to use,  '62 with a 549 Gas motor, but everything worked, good air, all fittings greased, brakes adjusted, in phenominal condition for what it was.  That dinosaur had a good return on investment.
A  bread truck driver I know got hung up at an intersection, the truck was unable to make a corner and had to be worked on beside the road. Late in the day I stopped to see what was up, the 5th wheel was being cut loose right there. Verdict was that the 5th wheel had never been greased and got so dry the truck wouldn't steer. And the latch was so bad it wouldn't unhook, not as big a deal to get it apart but it took half the day to get the jack to work. Wouldn't want their used equipment

You get out what you put in. That's why I got out of the truck business, if you try to do it right all the extra go's back into it. Oh, and I hate driving truck.

Sean

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"
Sounds like the double betted axe that's been in my family for 300 years.  

My old man always said double Bitted, although I have heard other people say Betted. I know it means a two sided axe, but what does Betted/Bitted have to do with anything?

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"
Sounds like the double betted axe that's been in my family for 300 years.  

My old man always said double Bitted, although I have heard other people say Betted. I know it means a two sided axe, but what does Betted/Bitted have to do with anything?

You have now found out I can't spell for beans.  Now if Fat Cat would hook up the spell checker????????  :oops:  :oops:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

mopar2dr

As someone who drives one of the "big rigs" I have seen some junk on the road. But,as Frank proves,good mantenence can keep things going for years. I cut my teeth on an old Bubblenose White,wouldn't want to go back and give up the perks of my 'Liner,but that old truck was fun. My dad used to drive a 1938 Mack stubnose,that was a class act! Maybe I should find me an old truck to rod :?:
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

av8

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"Sounds like the double betted axe that's been in my family for 300 years.

Do you know that the double-bitted axe is an American invention? It permitted settlers and frontiersmen to work all day or longer without the need to return home to resharpen their axe.

41ChevyTrucker

Quote from: "enjenjo"I was working on a convertor dolley tonight, they are used to connect two trailers together for the doubles you see on the interstates. This one is 22 years old, and has 2,871,000 miles on it, that is more  than 5 round trips to the moon. It is on it's second frame, second axle, original 5th wheel, 4th coupler eye, and has gone through more than 100 tires. The brakes have been replaced 23 times, it has been inspected and greased 75 times. The first time I worked on it I was 35 years old, Reagan was president, Fatcat was in junior high, and most cars were still rear wheel drive.

that is pretty cool. so the hub odometer never had to be replaced? hehe

41ChevyTrucker

Quote from: "mopar2dr"As someone who drives one of the "big rigs" I have seen some junk on the road. But,as Frank proves,good mantenence can keep things going for years. I cut my teeth on an old Bubblenose White,wouldn't want to go back and give up the perks of my 'Liner,but that old truck was fun. My dad used to drive a 1938 Mack stubnose,that was a class act! Maybe I should find me an old truck to rod :?:

I think rodding an old truck would be awesome.  I have seen some chicano lowrider style big rigs but that is not the route I would go. I have an old photo of the first rig my Dad ever bought himself it was a black AutoCar with a really cool looking stainless steel bunk. It was maybe a late 50's or early 60's model. A little chop and lowering, some straight pipes and higher rear end gears and it would make a nice rod. :lol:

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"You have now found out I can't spell for beans.  Now if Fat Cat would hook up the spell checker????????  :oops:  :oops:

What so you can go a nd get lazy on me...

wait never mind I don't think you could get any more lazy.

Not without being dead anyway. :wink:

enjenjo

Quote from: "41ChevyTrucker"

that is pretty cool. so the hub odometer never had to be replaced? hehe

We don't use hub odometers. the miles are tracked by a computer, and are accurate enough for the states to use that figure for HUT, and for the odometer reading when selling equipment.

purplepickup

Quote from: "enjenjo"I was working on a convertor dolley tonight, ...(snip)...The first time I worked on it I was 35 years old, Reagan was president, Fatcat was in junior high, and most cars were still rear wheel drive.

I'll bet those 22 years went by real fast too.  I was just sorting some pictures I took in '79 when I built my log cabin.  I was 31 and it seems like it was just a couple of years ago.

It's too bad they can't just go to the shelf and bolt new parts on us when something wears out.  I've got a few parts that could use freshening up. :?
George

Slick 50

It's gettingpretty close to that George. Vicki had a hip replaced recently and she's improved 100% in attitude. She's free from pain and walking with a greatly improved stance and it's only been 6 weeks.
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

Sean

Quote from: "Crosley"When we stop and think about it , we really have no answer, it does not seem like 31 years.... ( seems shorter, for you smart butts out there) ;)

Compatability....And knowing when to shut your mouth.

I have only been married 15 years, but we rarely argue, and we do just about everything together. On the few occasions that Martha has gotten me really Steamed, I have learned that its usually PMS and my best bet is to shut up, and go hide somewhere for an hour or two :wink:

enjenjo

QuoteWhen we stop and think about it , we really have no answer, it does not seem like 31 years.... ( seems shorter, for you smart butts out there)

We have been happily married 36 years. Compatibility means a lot, so does having the same values, even if you don't express them the same way. When people ask us how long we have been married, my wife says 36 years, I say 24 happy years, she hits me, and we move on.