Front End Alignment

Started by tonto1, March 07, 2005, 03:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

Well, I've finally gotten far enough to think about getting the front end aligned.
Does anyone know the numbers for a MustangII front end.
As always, I appreciate any help
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

phat46

Quote from: "tonto1"Well, I've finally gotten far enough to think about getting the front end aligned.
Does anyone know the numbers for a MustangII front end.
As always, I appreciate any help

Are you going to do it yourself?  The alignment shop that did mine musta had all the specs already. I used a stock Must II frontend.

I really like that Business coupe, Do you have a back seat in it?

tonto1

Thanks, it's always been my favorite body style.
No, I'm going to have a shop do it. And your probably right. they will most likely have the numbers.

enjenjo

Have them crank in a bit more caster than the spec, about 4 degrees at least.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"Have them crank in a bit more caster than the spec, about 4 degrees at least.
yep, i've got 2 1/2 in mine and it still needs more...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

ragdol

Is that pos. or neg. camber?

32coupe

About 3mm toe in, 1 to 1.5 deg neg camber and lots of positive caster.
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

tonto1

Well, I went to the local tire shop this morning to get the front end aligned and he tells me he can't do it because the wheelbase is different than a stock MustangII.
I told him that wouldn't make any difference, but he says it won't come out right because his machine is computerized.
Is he giving me BS because he doesn't know what he's doing? Or is he right?  :-o

rooster

Quote from: "tonto1"Well, I went to the local tire shop this morning to get the front end aligned and he tells me he can't do it because the wheelbase is different than a stock MustangII.
I told him that wouldn't make any difference, but he says it won't come out right because his machine is computerized.
Is he giving me BS because he doesn't know what he's doing? Or is he right?  :-o

I went through the same thing here! The guy at first wouldnt do what I wanted him to do !  He has to understand that its " not correct" but it is "what works"!  I wound up with about 5 1/2 degrees! The guy that did mine has the old shool machine that uses mirrors and light projected onto a srceen. $50.00 included any return for readjustment.

kb426

Just for your bit of trivia for the day: on dragsters, I put in 7 degrees on slow cars, 15 on econorails and 22 on blown cars.  I think 5.5 on a street car sounds great.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

QuoteIs he giving me BS because he doesn't know what he's doing? Or is he right?

He doesn't know what he is doing. :shock: Have him look up the 7 different wheelbases of S10 trucks, and see if the alignment specs are different.

My opinion, find another guy. I had to look for some time before I found one who would do it my way.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "tonto1"Well, I went to the local tire shop this morning to get the front end aligned and he tells me he can't do it because the wheelbase is different than a stock MustangII.

Well you could ask him to look up the spec for a 41 Chevy with a Mustang II front suspension. Then have him set it up that way. When he tells you that he doesn't have a spec for that. Tell him that is why you asked him to use the other specs and then tell him you will find someone that knows what they are doing and go some place else.

47convert

Some of the newer machines won't even set up a car with different size tires front to back! I'd find a shop that's been around for a while with an older machine and a a mechanic that's been doing this stuff for a while.

DrJ

Look up a place like
"Chuy's Rimz and Alignment...
We install hydraulics and air ride.
All cars and trucks"

They can probably align it for you to your specs. ;)

Or an older shop that does big trucks and cars.
There's one here in Garden Grove where I went to get my GMC beam axle aligned and  I knew I was in the right place when I saw the '55 Chevy bgasser in the employee parking, a Peterbuilt on one rack a Corvette on the next a police squad car on one and a '41 Willys that was set up like a 60's gasser all getting aligned.
That was ten years ago and I haven't touched it or had any alignment caused tire wear since.
If you know any "lowriders" in town, ask them where they get their lowered Chebys lowered and aligned.
Look for that kind of shop.

tonto1

Thanks for all the input. I called a shop yesterday that has an older machine, and he does street rods quite often. He said he'll align it however I want. The kind of guy I'm looking for.
I may be missing something, but I can't understand how wheelbase comes into play. I think the first guy isn't much of a thinker.