What is this motor?

Started by 2rods, March 07, 2005, 02:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Bib_Overalls

Looks loke a Buick 215.  Could be a Rover.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

drunk folks would bang their heads trying to get at the bottles....  :lol:

then get a hammer out and .... poof
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

2rods

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Looks loke a Buick 215.  Could be a Rover.

Wasn't the buick a V6? Also the bores look big for a 215.

kb426

Early 60's Buick was a v8. All alum. Rover turned it into 4.0 liters but the basic desirn is the same. Far as the pistons looking large, I agree.
TEAM SMART

2rods

Quote from: "kb426"Early 60's Buick was a v8. All alum. Rover turned it into 4.0 liters but the basic desirn is the same. Far as the pistons looking large, I agree.

Pistons look like diesel ones. So is this block a buick V8 for sure?

river1

i like it!!!

not sure how married guys wives would like it tho.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "river1"i like it!!!

later jim

Mine likes it just fine.

kb426

To the best of my feeble memory, it is a buick or rover v8.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

Doesn't a Buick aluminum V8 have a front mounted distributor in the block?  That thin web in the front of the valley looks kind of like a prostock Pontiac engine.  It's purty tho...whatever it is. 8)
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "river1"i like it!!!

later jim

Mine likes it just fine.

===== forgive him,  jim is not familar with marriage of any type.

:arrow:   :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

38HAULR

From where I am sittin, here in Oz,that,s one magnificent coffee table,and just as cool,is the vintage radio in the background,Is it radio only or radiogram?...........Frank.

Anonymous

Looks like P76 Leyland engine block to me. Aussie Leyland used the same motors as the British Rover V8's. I am not 100% sure but Rover and Buick may have been connected at some time in the past.

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "purplepickup"Doesn't a Buick aluminum V8 have a front mounted distributor in the block?  That thin web in the front of the valley looks kind of like a prostock Pontiac engine.  It's purty tho...whatever it is. 8)

The Olds/Buick/Rover 215s and variations like the Rover 4.0, 4.6 and the P76 had a front timing cover that incorporated the oil pump and distributor.  

GM produced the 215 for three years, 61,62, and 63 in two versions; Olds/Pontiac and Buck.  In 1965 GM sold the tooling for the Buick version to Rover.    

The early Buick V6 and the Buick 300, both cast iron,  were derived from the 215.  A common practice is to use a Buick 300 crank in a 215 or later Rover block.  In the 215 block you get 266 cubic inches.  In the 4.6 Rover block you get about 300 cubic inches.  

The P76 is a derivative of the Rover.  It was produced in Oz for, I think, two years.  It has a taller deck and just about nothing interchanges.  The crank has a little more stroke than the Buick 300.  

The "ideal" hot rod version of this motor uses a cross bolted Rover 4.0/4.6 block, a P76 crank, and 1964 (only year produced aluminum Buick 300 heads.   The P76 cranks are rarely seen in the US and Europe (where this motor is frequently rodded).  

The Olds version was used in Pontiacs but very few were sold.  The Olds uses six head bolts per cylinder.  The top bolt also secures the rocker arm assembly.  The Buick has 5 head bolts per cylinder.  The block in the picture does not have the 6th bolt hole so it is most likely a Buick or possibly a Rover.  You can put Buick heads on the Olds block but you can not go the other way.

As for the subject motor, there is no reason to assume the pistons and rods came from the same block.  Artists are not necessarily mechanics.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks