REMEMBER THE ALAMO.

Started by 38HAULR, March 05, 2005, 11:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

38HAULR

If my knowledge of history serves me correctly ,6th March? anniversary of the Alamo,Is this event commemorated widely, or locally in the area of Texas around the site, if at all?...........Frank.

58Apache

I don't know what you guys are eating or drinking down under that would let you remember such an obscure event in our history. Hell I am lucky to stay out of trouble remembering all of the days my wife expects presents from me .....and I usually don't get anything in return!  :(

In any case,  I think I'll start drinking Aussie beer to see if my memory improves ;)  Is it true that "Foster's is the Australian word for beer" ?

Actually, I have lived in several of the states, and while something might be mentioned now and then, it's not celebrated outside of Texas. I am not too sure of Texas though.

I'm surprised you knew what the date and event was ....most Americans would just say it was a rental car company!  :(  

Someone needs to teach kids history here..... I believe it was Churchill that said "Those that do not remember the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them."

Steve

Lithgow-Mick

Was Alamo the 1st or last name Frank.  :shock:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
If its not a Flattie
Then it wouldn,t pull a Sailor
Off Ya Sister

bcal

Quote from: "58Apache"
In any case,  I think I'll start drinking Aussie beer to see if my memory improves ;)  Is it true that "Foster's is the Australian word for beer" ?
                                                Steve
Please, if you want to get along with us aussies don't mention the words Fosters and Australia in the same sentence.
The idea that we all drink that swill is a total myth.
I'm not sure you can you even buy the stuff here anymore.
Any of you wood ducks (Victorians) drink it coz I haven't seen it in a bottle shop for yonks.
Time flies when you\'re no longer young
Brett.

38HAULR

Lithgow Mick,As far as I know, the fortified complex near San Antonio was known as "THE ALAMO".  Around 1836 where an outnumbered garrison ,some 185 men held out for a couple of weeks against 5000 Mexicans under the dictator Santa Anna.The leaders of those brave men had cities in Texas named after them.Houston,Austin.Our friends over in Texas can correct me or affirm ,as it was a defining moment in their history,as Texas was part of Mexico.Aside to some of the beer comments,everybody knows that the Aussie beer rating is. #1 Fosters. #2 Cascade. #3 xxxx...........Frank

38HAULR

Looking at the times on these posts Steve,you must be up late in Ohio.I am surprised that that date ,being symbolic of of the events that shaped the future of one of your states would be ignored,at least in Texas.There must be descendants who would have some rememberance.........Frank.

X38

I've been to The Alamo.

Rough history in that neck of the woods.

Frank, NO ONE drinks fosters except tourists and they hardly do because when they ask for it no one has it.

I drink Rechs in a pub, after that Boags, Cascade and best of all, Carbine Stout.

Carps

Quote from: "X38"I've been to The Alamo.

I once rented an Alamo and drove it to Davey Crocket's house with my good freind John Rowan, who sadly is an accountant, not a judge.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

X38

Funilly enough, I drove an Alamo to The Alamo.

phat46

Quote from: "38HAULR"Lithgow Mick,As far as I know, the fortified complex near San Antonio was known as "THE ALAMO".  Around 1836 where an outnumbered garrison ,some 185 men held out for a couple of weeks against 5000 Mexicans under the dictator Santa Anna.The leaders of those brave men had cities in Texas named after them.Houston,Austin.Our friends over in Texas can correct me or affirm ,as it was a defining moment in their history,as Texas was part of Mexico.Aside to some of the beer comments,everybody knows that the Aussie beer rating is. #1 Fosters. #2 Cascade. #3 xxxx...........Frank

At the time Texas was not part of the United states as we know it now. It was to be know as the Republic of Texas, separate from the U.S.of A. and separate from Mexico, which it was part of at the time; that's what all the hubbub was about at the Alamo

manyolkars

Here in America, we are not allowed to talk about the Alamo because someone might be 'offended'.

58Apache

Yep, I had just got home from a dinner party last night and was checking messages, so I was up rather late.

I think the Alamo blends in with most other events that saw the USA gaining territory either through purchase ....Louisana purchase bought a lot of the mid-west from the French.  Maybe that's why they have an "attitude" now?

Then we bought Alaska from the Ruskies. Some of the other land was taken ..either from Indians, or Mexicans. Not necessarilly something I am proud of, but it happened so life goes on.

One of the even less taught things is how close we came to taking Canada! We almost took a good chunk of the South and Western Canada in something they were calling "Manifest destiny".  There was an attempt to draw the border line at a the next latitudinal (or is it longitudinal) line up. I don't know what happened to stop that from happening, but I know it wasn't the Canucks themselves.

The Canucks USED to be almost as good as the Aussies in my book ....maybe it's just the loud mouth youth that is giving them a bad name?

Steve

ONE37TUDOR

I may be one of the very few Texans that celebrate the memory of the Alamo or even remember the significant dates involved. The seige of the Alamo actually began on March the 2nd and the Alamo fell on March the 6th. Why do I remember these dates - The 6th is also my Birthday so it kinda sticks with me.
The Alamo battle is not celebrated anywhere that I know of although there is a small remembrance conducted in San Antonio on the 6th. While the battle is identified as "The defining moment" in the battle for independence for the Republic of Tejas (As it was called then) it was in fact a defeat for the Texacan's. If it had of been a victory it may well have more status?
Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "manyolkars"Here in America, we are not allowed to talk about the Alamo because someone might be 'offended'.

Sometimes people have a right to be offended.    

I have a number of friends from my Army days, hispanics from Texas.  If you asked them "what" they are they will tell you they are Americans and Texans (Tejanos) of hispanic heritage.  If you suggest they might be Mexicans they will take polite offense.  One once told me "I didn't cross the border, the border crossed me."    

Which leads me to the fact that the "Texas Revolution" was not immigrant American Anglos against Mexicans.  It was Texans, both settlers and Tejanos, against Mexico.  The participation and sacrifice of hispanic Texans in the fight for Texas independence is well documented.  But this history has been suppressed.  Suppressed to the point where most people, Texans included, assume any hispanic with a "Mexican" heritage was on the wrong side.    

Someone who takes offense because they can not acknowledge true history and get on with their lives does not deserve sympathy.  But when the history is wrong we all have an obligation to square it up.  

Remember the Alamo.  Remember it right.  

A quick web search on "Alamo Tejano" produced a number of hits.  This one is representative http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/tejanopatriots.htm
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

some folks in America are trying to alter the true history of many things to make it more PC
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)