1991 Olds 3.8 V-6 engine question

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 02, 2005, 08:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

this is a 4 door Olds car with a v-6 of the 3.8 type.

timing chain broke ,  what are the chances the valves did NOT hit the pistons?

Just curious ,

I will have the car here in a few days after I retrieve it from texas
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"this is a 4 door Olds car with a v-6 of the 3.8 type.

timing chain broke ,  what are the chances the valves did NOT hit the pistons?

Just curious ,

I will have the car here in a few days after I retrieve it from texas

pretty slim....sorry.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

parklane

Tony
You have two chances: slim, and nun.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

enjenjo

It could even be like my Buick, when the chain broke, it took out the valves, crank, and block. :cry:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I found out the car is a 1987.... this makes it all better right?

LOL

I was fairly sure the engine was an interference deal.  My brother had a co-worker tell him all it needed was a chain & gears.  The co-worker probably has a neighbor that works at Walmart selling tires and is a car expert.   :shock:

It does not change the fact I must go to El paso to pick up this POS car..  :wink:

Just over a year ago I drove over and picked up the kid and a different car .   A month later he turned left in front of a guy and destroyed that car.
Tony

OldSub

I would not normally disagree with experts like enjenjo, but I had a '88 Olds with a Buick 3.8 and lost the timing chain in it.  Replacing the chain and sprockets got it back on the road.

How fast was the motor turning when the chain let go?  Mine wouldn't start one day, and the problem proved to be the chain.  Must have failed as it was shut off, or maybe when I next tried to start it?

Anyway I'd say the odds are at least one in some number of millions that the motor will be okay with a new chain and sprockets.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

It's possible, in my case, it was going down the road at about 70 mph. Everything was junk before I could react. If it did it while trying to start, the damage could be minimal.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"It's possible, in my case, it was going down the road at about 70 mph. Everything was junk before I could react. If it did it while trying to start, the damage could be minimal.

well, you  COULD get lucky but the 1/2 dozen that have been in the shop with TC problem haven't...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Jokester

I guess I was lucky on mine.  Same story as Oldsub.  It just wouldn't start.  No internal damage other than the chain and gears.  Replace the tensioner while you're in there.

Now I replace them at about 80,000 as a maintenance item.

My 2 cents.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

rooster

Same thing, new chain and gear and we were in bussiness 87 Buick Park Ave 3.8 L, happened at 55 K miles, under 50 MPH, still driving it!

Crosley.In.AZ

it is running near 50-50 on the valve and pistons hitting.

I am glad to hear you guys that have replaced only the chain & gears ,,, then drive the car many more miles.  This gives me hope.  All I have ever done on these motors is tune ups, trannys , and a water pump here and there

Every time my older brother turns around he get's kicked by something it seems.  I try to help him when I can.    8)

his kids like most have the attitude : " you owe me every thing" .  after my brother says "no" , his wife over rules him.  :shock:
Tony

oiler

I've done several here at the dealership Tony and I've yet to see a bent valve in one.
I don't think they are a free running engine but you never know.
Gotta remember GM built them with a plastic timing gear so they did know what was bound to happen with them.
Jeff

purplepickup

Hmmm....my daily driver is a 95 Buick 3.8 with over 100K.  It runs so good I thought I was good to go for another 100K.  Maybe not, but we'll see I guess.  :?
George

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "purplepickup"Hmmm....my daily driver is a 95 Buick 3.8 with over 100K.  It runs so good I thought I was good to go for another 100K.  Maybe not, but we'll see I guess.  :?

Same here, George.  My daily driver is a 92 Riviera with 125,000 miles, and I wasn't planning on having to do anything to it.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

oil pan off first.... big piles of plastic and metal in the pan.  Chain is not broke.

Aluminum cam gear is missing it's plastic teeth and most of the aluminum under the plastic teeth is broke off too.

Magnet on the cam gear is in good shape, cam position sensor is good too it looks

Cam gear spring and plastic button are wiped out that keep the cam from walking out of the block.

It is a dirt simple car to do this work on. Less than 1 hour I had the parts off the engine.....

for you guys with similar cars..... this car has 128k miles on it

8)
Tony