Clipping Dumbo's Ears

Started by Bib_Overalls, March 01, 2005, 06:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

When I built "Hot Stuff" I made every effort to get the esthetics right the first time.  I researched the magazines and scrutinized  various interpretations of the classic Deuce roadster at car shows and rod runs for just about as long as I can remember.  When it came to wheels I finally decided to go with a combination I had seen a number of times; 165R15s on 6" rims in front and 255/70R15s on reversed 8" rims in back.   Up front things turned out OK.  But in back I got Dumbo's Ears.  To short and to wide and to far out from the body. The combination worked on 60s and later interpretations.  But my rodding experience goes back to the 50s and the big and wides in the back conflicted with the look I was trying to get.  I am happy with the car.  But Dumbo's ears, as I started to call them, were an irritant.

Recently we had a little tax windfall.  Money we were not expecting to get.  My share was enough to fix the tire problem.    Some of my friends were pushing wide whites and I was interested but not sure enough to do it.  And there was the question of size. So what to do? I started by posting two polls on the Rodder's Round Table (RRT) and the Hokey * Message Board (HAMB) asking for opinions - blackwalls or wide whitewalls.

The folks at the RRT came down for blackwalls.  The traditionalists at the HAMB favored wide whites.  But it was the comments about size and overall look that helped the most.  On both boards there was agreement about height.  I needed to get somewhere close to 30-31".  And there was a general condenses about width.  A little narrower please.  Several HAMBers thought I should go with narrow biasplys.  I like the look.  I also like the look that comes with old drum brakes up front.  But it is my * we are talking about and radials and disc brakes are locked in to the plan.  And finally, there was strong support for trim or "beauty" rings.

Belinda and I have been dealing with the local Rabin tire store for several years and the counterman has always been helpful.  So I went to him with the following requirement.  Find me a narrow blackwall radial that is 30-31" tall.  No luck at all in 15s.  Everything tall enough in that size was wider than what I was already running.  However, 245/75R16s looked good.  They are a tad over 30" tall and narrower than my original 255/70R15s.  They mount best on 7" wide rims.
So I ordered a pair of 16"x7" with 4" backspace Gennie rims from Wheel Vintique. I also ordered a pair of 16" and a pair of 15" ribbed beauty rings.

As for the tires, all of the tall radials are light truck or commercial rated.  Most have aggressive, noisy tread patterns, stiff construction,  and whitewalls or raised white letters.  I initially settled on a Cooper made tire.  But the store manager recommended an all season Michelin.  This is a light truck rated tire but it has a smooth running highway tread pattern and better ride characteristics.  The manager described it as a tire for SUV owners who stay on pavement.  I ordered a pair.

Yesterday one of my rodding buddies painted the 16" rims to match and this morning Rabin mounted up the tires.  After looking at Dumbo's ears for two years this change is going to take some getting used to.  Not that I don't like it.  I really do.  In my mind it tracts with that late 50s look I am trying to emulate.  But like a wife's new hair do, it will take some time to adjust.

My thanks to those of you who helped.  The polls and the comments in threads and by email were very helpful and much appreciated.  Just thought you would like to see how it all came out.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

kb426

Very Good! Looks like you got what you wanted.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"...this change is going to take some getting used to.  Not that I don't like it.  I really do.   ....it will take some time to adjust.
Steve, Hot Stuff looks great!  :D

You need to get busy on the next project....then the roadster will become a parts chaser and you won't even notice the wheels and tires. :wink:
George

phat46

well, I like it, even though I voted for WWW's, looks like you've hit the nail on the head as far as the right look for the "era" you want.

SimonSez

What model of Michelins are they ??

I have been looking for a good looking tyre in that size for a while now.

Charlie Chops 1940

Looks real good with the tires tucked in a little tighter. 30/31 " tall tires are getting harder and harder to come by that's for sure.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Slick 50

I like it also.
Looks great!
Now get out there and burn them off :lol:
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

btrc

Looks Great.  It wouldn't take me long to get used to that look.  I'm already there.

Bob
Bob

rumrumm

Looks great. I think it will grow on you the more you get used to it.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Dirk35

Wow! I am honestly amazed at how much that tire change, changes the car! I like the new look for sure. You did good!

Crosley.In.AZ

I thought mayb from the thread title : " Clipping Dumbo's ears".. I thought mayb fatcat got a hair cut.

:arrow:    :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

DRD57

Muy Beuno!  

It's amazing how such a small change can make such a dramtic improvement in the overall look.

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "SimonSez"What model of Michelins are they ??

I have been looking for a good looking tyre in that size for a while now.

The tires are coded "Mitchlin LTX AS BK P245/75R16 109S".  

They are four ply light truck tires.  A bit stiff.  They stand up with almost no "radial bulge".
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Dusty

The combo looks good...It will be in style anywhere, any time...That is a look that is never out of style.
Dusty
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE