progress on the 32 pics

Started by nzsimon, February 24, 2004, 06:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzsimon

I now have the master cylinder and booster under the dash and the pedal hung used a holden gemini booster and a toyota Hiace van master cylinder to give me the remote function will have to cut out the pedal box under the floor Oh well the price of changeing your mind I guess much happier now though
Also mounted the so-cal screen the cowl will need a lot of work to match the shape of the bottom of the screen
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Pep

Quote from: "nzsimon"I now have the master cylinder and booster under the dash and the pedal hung used a holden gemini booster and a toyota Hiace van master cylinder to give me the remote function will have to cut out the pedal box under the floor Oh well the price of changeing your mind I guess much happier now though
Also mounted the so-cal screen the cowl will need a lot of work to match the shape of the bottom of the screen

Looks good.....I was contemplating doing something similar but my under dash situation is a bit tighter...I still have a protruding battery box and air vent to consider...I assume you will be using the Toyota swing pedal from the Hiace?...I'm curious why you changed your mind, is it just appearance?
See Ya
Pep

Bib_Overalls

"Also mounted the so-cal screen the cowl will need a lot of work to match the shape of the bottom of the screen"

I am always impressed by your work.  You are going to have one trick Decuce when you are done!!

My friend Darwin is building a Wescott bodied 32 with a SoCal windshield for one of his customers.  The attached pictures show you how he fitted it all up.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

nzsimon

no the totota pedal looked like it had been beaten to death with an ugly stick remade to suit
wanted it under the dash as it's just better it just is ok :-)

didn't want to muck about with holes in the floor and pedals on awkward angles
the toyota pedal box did however yield a brake light switch

nzsimon

Oh and of course the pedal box also yielded a spring for the pedal

Yes it is your picture that made me buy the so-cal screen and the rumour ( untrue) that I wouldn't need wipers as it is under the legal height

My plastic body does not have the bump that the screen fits against so I either have to make it or maybe I will run with the duval I made Not convinced either way

I do know I am on dangerous ground changeing your mind can add years to a project

I have landed all the stereo gear for it 3000watts of subs and 13 speakers in total its going to be loud at both ends :-)

jaybee

That's slick!  Thanks for showing.  Anyone know if a similar setup is available on this side of the pond from a production vehicle?  Kugel offers one of course, but it's pricey.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

river1

Quote from: "jaybee"That's slick!  Thanks for showing.  Anyone know if a similar setup is available on this side of the pond from a production vehicle?  Kugel offers one of course, but it's pricey.

yes there is one on this side of the pond.

dodge and ford early 70's vans have them. i haven't seen one but i hear they are a bit bigger then the kugel's version.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

spark

Quote from: "nzsimon"I now have the master cylinder and booster under the dash and the pedal hung used a holden gemini booster and a toyota Hiace van master cylinder to give me the remote function will have to cut out the pedal box under the floor

Simon, I have been looking at the same brake pedal set up for my 31 pickup.

I didn't consider the remote resivor, were you going to mount it (the res)?

It would have to be level or higher than the master wouldn't it?

I was going to fit the pedal/ booster/ master under the floor and use remote res mounted at the back of the cab- under the  pick up bed, but my cab is channelled and I was thinking of adding a foot well to get more foot room and more clearance – pedal to steering column.

If I go for the Hi Ace under dash set up I will use a Gemini booster and a Ford (XA) master. Just not sure how to check / fill brake fluid up under the dash, may have to use a mirror and squeeze bottle?
8) ANY info or comments are most welcome.  8)

www.hotrodforum.freeforums.org .

old32

Quote from: "spark"Just not sure how to check / fill brake fluid up under the dash, may have to use a mirror and squeeze bottle?

Hey Spark

Why not add a cowl vent and use under it for reservoir?
:twisted:  :twisted: The Older I Get The Faster I Was :twisted:  :twisted:

spark

Quote from: "old32"
Quote from: "spark"Just not sure how to check / fill brake fluid up under the dash, may have to use a mirror and squeeze bottle?

Hey Spark

Old32, My 31 has a round cap in the top of the cowl (fuel cap) and yes I have cut out the tank underneath.

I would be worried about spilling brake fluid (it eats paint). :shock:

I was thinking of using the cap as a filling point for the windscreen washer bottle.  :roll:

:?:  Any body else used under dash booster /master set ups?

Jimc

Quote from: "spark"
Quote from: "old32"

Hey Spark

Old32, My 31 has a round cap in the top of the cowl (fuel cap) and yes I have cut out the tank underneath.

I would be worried about spilling brake fluid (it eats paint). :shock:

I was thinking of using the cap as a filling point for the windscreen washer bottle.  :roll:

:?:  Any body else used under dash booster /master set ups?

I am using a hydraulic booster under the floor of my 47 Ford. it is powered by the power steering pump.
Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm using a Kugel clutch/brake under the cowl on my '26 track roadster pickup...have a couple inches clearance above the reservoirs. When I put the unit in for the last time I intend to bench bleed everything, plug and install, then quickly connect to the bulkhead fitting I'm making for all three lines. Further fillups will be done very carefully. My dash will come out as a unit with all wires in gang plugs, so it shouldn't be too hard to fill.

Time will tell how well it all works out.

I'm doing a '32 next and at this point plan to use below the floor clutch and brake along the lines of what SoCal does in their chassis book, but the Kugel unit has an allure. I am pretty stronly leaning towards cowl steering ala Schroeder box and I think the floor pedal arrangement would work better.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

nzsimon

Fellas slow down and think filling under the dash forget that

I am simply going to make a bling bling thing on the firewall and plumb thru to the master none of it is under pressure so shouldn't leak

I will mount it high on the firewall so you won't see it unless the bonnet open

nzsimon

Spark the ford master cyl isn't set up for remoteing but the hiace is and I beleive they are the same 1" diameter internal all you need is some plastic pipe to feed the filler

spark

Quote from: "nzsimon"Spark the ford master cyl isn't set up for remoteing but the hiace is and I beleive they are the same 1" diameter internal all you need is some plastic pipe to feed the filler

Thanks simon,
What disks are you running?  I have the same front end as you (RodTech?)
It has Ford XA disks with finned aluminium Commodore callipers / Ford drums on the rear.

:idea:  I suppose I could use the Toyota reservoir on the firewall (engine side) and make a cover for it.
Or –
:idea:  Make up a container of the same capacity out of stainless tube with a screw on cap, appropriate fitting and line to the remote master.  

8)  Your roadster is looking good, how did the rear suspension work out?
The last pix I saw you had it mocked up in mild steel and were planing to remake the 4? Bars in stainless.  I would love to see a pic of how it tuned out. :D