Mustang II A Arms

Started by timkins, February 18, 2005, 08:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

I will be changing the Mustang II A arms on my car from the original with a sway bar to tubular A arms without a sway bar. This also requires me to remove the support struts from the original to the welded gusset on the tubular arms. Any suggestions or comments pro or con would be appreciated.

model a vette

I think you mean strut bars not sway bars. I've seen discussions about this conversion and the bottom line seems to be to gusset as much as you can, preferably in two directions.
My opinion is that Ford designed the front end with strut bars so you are trying to re-engineer the front end to work in a different way. The struts move the load back to a different part of the frame than the lower arm pivot. Once you convert to an "A" frame the load is much more concentrated on the lower pivot point and the new long bolt and tube.
I tend to go for safe function rather than good looks. Your opinion may vary!
Ed

Charlie Chops 1940

A better altenative to the stock lower strut arm is an aftermarket strut that is bent at the with a bushed end in line with the lower a-arm pivot. I find it is easier to fabricate a bullet proof attaching bracket at the frame and I think the system distributes the loads better. I have Heidts arms on my '40 Chev with stock lower a-arms and all is well after 12/13 years.

Just another suggestion.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

paul2748

I have a set of Heights arms which have provisions for both the sway bar and strut rods.  I would keep the sway bar for handling.  I like the idea of using the strut rods as that was what the front end was designed for.  However, it does look nice without them.  As suggested, gusset  if you get rid of the strut rods.