made a roll cage for the 32 on the weekend

Started by nzsimon, February 13, 2005, 08:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzsimon

Had some stainless 50mm tube mandrel bent last week and fabbed some braketry to hold it inside the body
Drilled two holes through the body and it all seems to work now I just need to tunnel in the high stop brake light

I am having some smaller tube bent up to make a rear nerf bar
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

WZ JUNK

WOW, car looks really good.  I always look at the background in a shot like that.  Interesting stuff in your garage.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Pep

Simon...is that compulsory in NZ to have a roll bar?...also. have you started it yet...looks close...and good :)
See Ya
Pep

nzsimon

No it isn't a legal requirement it is all for looks in this case and somewhere to mount the high stop brake light which is a legal requirement

However you do need a roll over protection to take it to the drags

No I have not started it yet I have a trillion feet of wireing to install before that day

What did you spot in my garage that was so interesting

By the way the boxes that the roadster is sitting on are made from Cymbal crates cut in half just in case you are wondering all the way from Turkey

Pep

Quote from: "nzsimon"No it isn't a legal requirement it is all for looks in this case and somewhere to mount the high stop brake light which is a legal requirement

However you do need a roll over protection to take it to the drags

No I have not started it yet I have a trillion feet of wireing to install before that day

What did you spot in my garage that was so interesting

By the way the boxes that the roadster is sitting on are made from Cymbal crates cut in half just in case you are wondering all the way from Turkey

Hey.that was Wz Junk with the snooping eyes :wink: ....apart from that, I couldn't see anything interesting...besides the roadster of course :)
See Ya
Pep

Crosley.In.AZ

gooding lookin stuff as usual.

not enough scanty clad girly pictures on the shop walls

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

The drill press is interesting.  You have skates for your car but you do not have a creeper and you must prefer to lay on pieces of carpet instead.  You have a large plastic box like the one I use to keep all my electrical connectors and wiring tools.  Your shop is not much different than mine and most of my friends even though you are half way around the globe.

When you drop a nut you are working with, does it fall up.  How did we get picked to be the upside anyway?  Maybe we should start a movement to make us the down side and you guys the up side.  We could have all the globes redone.  I am feeling a little extra silly tonight.

I like your car.  Looks like you will be riding and driving after winter
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Pep

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
When you drop a nut you are working with, does it fall up.  How did we get picked to be the upside anyway?  Maybe we should start a movement to make us the down side and you guys the up side.  We could have all the globes redone.  I am feeling a little extra silly tonight.

I like your car.  Looks like you will be riding and driving after winter

Well as a matter of fact, you can buy globes over here that have us on top :)
See Ya
Pep

nzsimon

I do so have a creeper

It is under the car on the other side where I left it when doing the seatbelt mounting points

In fact I laid on it the other night to make a patten for the mounts and something soggy was on the back of my neck so I slid out again to discover the cat had been sick on my creeper

Th eplastic box is the missus's tool box that she bought for her Lotus then discovered it didn't fit anywhere LOL

nzsimon

Here is the start of the nerf bar I have to trim the ends yet and round them off I have these cool litlle pipe reducers to mount it too the body

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "nzsimon"Here is the start of the nerf bar I have to trim the ends yet and round them off I have these cool litlle pipe reducers to mount it too the body

================
Nice work, as usual, Simon!

Is the nerf bar strictly decorative?  ....Wouldn't it be better mounted to the frame?
...Dunno, just asking.

If it is indeed mounted to the body, isn't any little nudge to the nerf going to necessitate more body work?  

I'm sure you've thought this through.  ...I'm just curious.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

nzsimon

Yes I have thought of that there is some steel on the inside made from some microphone stands tube that takes it back to the chassis so you can push or pull on the bar should be able to stand on it as well It will just look like it's hung off the body

PeterR

Quote from: "nzsimon"By the way the boxes that the roadster is sitting on are made from Cymbal crates cut in half just in case you are wondering all the way from Turkey

That explains why they are not painted matte black

C9

Looking very nice Simon.

Does the roll bar have additional points mounting it to the floor?
As in "4-point roll bar "etc?
I'm guessing it does.

Aside from that are your seats low enough that the roll bar offers sufficient protection in the upside down mode?
Not knocking things, just that I see a lot of roll bars over here that are lower than the drivers head.

Aside from that, the nerf bar looks really good.
What diameter tubing did you use for that?
50mm as on the roll bar?
That translates to .8mm less than 2" if I did the math right.

Building a nerf similar to yours out of some 'on-hand' 1 3/4 or 1 5/8" x .120 wall tubing would work nicely for my 31 on 32 rails roadster.
(Which I'm actually getting back to work on after the move to Arizona.)

I wonder as well if the nerf bar's bends are a touch less than 90degrees or right at 90 degrees?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

47convert

I like your car.  Looks like you will be riding and driving after winter[/quote]

You mean after summer? Down under remember.