What fun I had tonite.

Started by Dave, February 07, 2005, 07:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Im lucky the guy that stole my tools didnt take the smoke wrench! My youngest bought a 97 s-10 witha 4.3 in it and the check engine light was on and it ran sluggish. Well I looked under it and he bought a manual but it sucked but i did determine it has 2 o2 sensors and other sensors in the exhaust. I told him we needed to get one at least and maybe more but that I thought the cat was plugged and thats why it was sluggish. I had to torch the cat bolts off and once I got it off the truck I dumped a bunch of junk out of it. I then (ive done this before) removed the handle from my 3 and 1/2 ton jack and stood the cat on end and hammered the H_E_L_L out of it till i got er cleaned out. Send the kid for gaskets and an o2 sensor and I heated and beat the remains of the studs out of the cat and went looking for bolts to put er back on. I installed one new o2 sensor and one of the old ones fired er up. Hummm check engine light still lit. I replaced the old sensor with the other old sensor and ya I took the battery cable off to try and reset the puker. Oh well take er down the street. He came back and told me it ran great now.
Im gonna have him run it to auto zone to scan it and maybe find out why the check engine light is on but tomorrow he is gonna transfer the plates and drive it. Im bleeding and lost some skin but man that was fun and it runs better :lol:  Any one got a good manual for a 97 s-10 that can tell me what all the other sensors are? I actually found 4 sensors in the exhaust on this thing?
Dave

rooster

Dave my s10 books dont go up that far you might try s10 fourm  

http://www.s10forum.com/

Im sure my son will have intrest in how you cleaned the cat out. :wink:

34ford

Dave,

I have a 97 explorer with the 5.0 in it and it has 4 sensors in the exhaust also. My neighbor is a tech at the local gm place and checks my codes for me. I had to replace one of my o2 sensors. They are pre cat and post cat o2 sensors and both work different and have different part #'s, sonething about the voltage they put out. So they all are a type of 02 sensors. To replace the bad one I had to remove the consel between the seats and cut the carpeting and the remove the 6x6 access panel on the tranny tunnel to be able to unplug the sensor and plug in the new one. That was enough fun for a while. They have the connections mounted on the top of the tranny in a nice little bracket. No way could you reach up between the tranny and the exhaust to be able to press in the little tab and pull out the plug. Snap-on probably has a nifty little tool to do this but not me. nuff said

bob

tomslik

Quote from: "N8DC"Im lucky the guy that stole my tools didnt take the smoke wrench! My youngest bought a 97 s-10 witha 4.3 in it and the check engine light was on and it ran sluggish. Well I looked under it and he bought a manual but it sucked but i did determine it has 2 o2 sensors and other sensors in the exhaust. I told him we needed to get one at least and maybe more but that I thought the cat was plugged and thats why it was sluggish. I had to torch the cat bolts off and once I got it off the truck I dumped a bunch of junk out of it. I then (ive done this before) removed the handle from my 3 and 1/2 ton jack and stood the cat on end and hammered the ##### out of it till i got er cleaned out. Send the kid for gaskets and an o2 sensor and I heated and beat the remains of the studs out of the cat and went looking for bolts to put er back on. I installed one new o2 sensor and one of the old ones fired er up. Hummm check engine light still lit. I replaced the old sensor with the other old sensor and ya I took the battery cable off to try and reset the puker. Oh well take er down the street. He came back and told me it ran great now.
Im gonna have him run it to auto zone to scan it and maybe find out why the check engine light is on but tomorrow he is gonna transfer the plates and drive it. Im bleeding and lost some skin but man that was fun and it runs better :lol:  Any one got a good manual for a 97 s-10 that can tell me what all the other sensors are? I actually found 4 sensors in the exhaust on this thing?

well, there should be a O2 sensor after the coverter you just ruined (and now get to buy).
it checks to see if the converter is functional.

you will need a scanner to turn off the light whether it's fixed or not...disconnecting the bat will have no effect on most obdII systems

this is from alldata

OPERATION
To control emissions of Hydrocarbons (HO), Carbon Monoxide (CO), and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx), a three-way catalytic converter is used. The catalyst within the converter promotes a chemical reaction which oxidizes the HO and CO present in the exhaust gas, converting them into harmless water vapor and carbon dioxide. The catalyst also reduces NOx, converting it to nitrogen. The VCM has the ability to monitor this process using the Bank 1 Sensor 2 and the Bank 1 Sensor 3 heated oxygen sensors. The Bank 1 Sensor 2 sensor produces an output signal which indicates the amount of oxygen present in the exhaust gas entering the three way catalytic converter. The Bank 1 Sensor 3 sensor produces an output signal which indicates the oxygen storage capacity of the catalyst; this in turn indicates the catalyst ability to convert exhaust gases efficiently. If the catalyst is operating efficiently, the Bank 1 Sensor 2 sensor will produce a far more active signal than that produced by the Bank 1 Sensor 3 sensor.

The catalyst monitor sensors operate the same as the fuel control sensors. Although the Bank 1 Sensor 2 and Bank 1 Sensor 3 sensors main function is catalyst monitoring, they also play a limited role in fuel control. If a sensor output indicates a voltage either above or below the 450 millivolt bias voltage for an extended period of time, the VCM will make a slight adjustment to fuel trim to ensure that fuel delivery is correct for catalyst monitoring

btw, just because the "check engine" lite is on doesn't mean the O2 sensors are bad.
theres a whole bunch of stuff that'll turn it on.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Dave

well, there should be a O2 sensor after the coverter you just ruined (and now get to buy). (Ouch That Hurt. You mean the fact that the stuff in the front side of it all loose and ratteling and plugging it up makes it good? It was junk and I could tell when I removed it..)it checks to see if the converter is functional.

you will need a scanner to turn off the light whether it's fixed or not...disconnecting the bat will have no effect on most obdII systems

this is from alldata
Ok That helps me

btw, just because the "check engine" lite is on doesn't mean the O2 sensors are bad.
theres a whole bunch of stuff that'll turn it on.[/quote]

Yup I know that. I guess I shoulda started with the fact that a gm tech scanned this thing and his reply was o2 sensor or convertor.Dave

GPster

You mean the crook left you a hammer too? There are a number of ways to look at this. If this vehicle would not have to go through a sniffer test find out if that O2 sensor does anything but turn on that light. If not there are various ways to stop that light from being a nusanse. GPster

tomslik

Quote from: "N8DC"well, there should be a O2 sensor after the coverter you just ruined (and now get to buy). (Ouch That Hurt. You mean the fact that the stuff in the front side of it all loose and ratteling and plugging it up makes it good? It was junk and I could tell when I removed it..)it checks to see if the converter is functional.

guess i didn't see the rattle part.
it was junk anyway:)

this is from alldata
Ok That helps me

theres a whole bunch of stuff that'll turn it on.

Yup I know that. I guess I shoulda started with the fact that a gm tech scanned this thing and his reply was o2 sensor or convertor.Dave[/quote]

tomslik

Quote from: "GPster"You mean the crook left you a hammer too? There are a number of ways to look at this. If this vehicle would not have to go through a sniffer test find out if that O2 sensor does anything but turn on that light. If not there are various ways to stop that light from being a nusanse. GPster
short of reprogramming the puter, i can't imagine what(on obdII)

IF you have to be sniffed, you need to have stuff working properly,.
if not, you just "tampered" with the emissions system and COULD be fined depending on who you are...
that's federal and not state law...

or you could just fix it right....

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "GPster"You mean the crook left you a hammer too? There are a number of ways to look at this. If this vehicle would not have to go through a sniffer test find out if that O2 sensor does anything but turn on that light. If not there are various ways to stop that light from being a nusanse. GPster

if not, you just "tampered" with the emissions system and COULD be fined depending on who you are...

We in Michigan don't have many rules (just like the old day's) in fact even most of the local muffler shop's will toss away that converter if you ask!  Ah, the outlaw life.
I suppose someday we'll have to conform, but not yet.  They tried a few years ago, even built multi million dollar facilities, but gave up and sold all the test facilities.
Live is good in da north!
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

kb426

Hey, I learned something. I didn't know there were multiple O2 sensors. The explorer story didn't sound like much fun either. I've been so lucky for so long. The last car that I replaced a sensor on was back in 1988. I know someday it's going to catch up with me.
TEAM SMART

tomslik

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"

We in Michigan don't have many rules (just like the old day's) in fact even most of the local muffler shop's will toss away that converter if you ask!  Ah, the outlaw life.
I suppose someday we'll have to conform, but not yet.  They tried a few years ago, even built multi million dollar facilities, but gave up and sold all the test facilities.

last i heard, it was a 10K fine for repair/muffler shops to remove the cat.(again, federal law).

just a reminder, YOUR cars are not my ride home, just trying to help;)

Dave

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"

last i heard, it was a 10K fine for repair/muffler shops to remove the cat.(again, federal law).

just a reminder, YOUR cars are not my ride home, just trying to help;)

In my haste I guess I forgot to tell you that this was a temporary fix Didnt I?
After finding the bad convertor I was just running a test to be sure :wink:
Dave
ps: anyone know where I can get some leaded regular?

GPster

Used to be around here you could get leaded gas if you were a farmer and neede it for your tractor. might check around using that angle. GPster

Fat Cat

Quote from: "N8DC"ps: anyone know where I can get some leaded regular?

I might but do you really want to ruin that new O2 sensor?

slocrow

"ps: anyone know where I can get some leaded regular?"

It's a joke! He's pull'en the chain again.
No sniffer laws indeed. And why not? Oh yeah, everything just blows into Canada. We're @ $19.95 per car every two years with a 25 year pass........
Hey where can i get one of those new high performance cell phones.....I'm still laughing........Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...