Powder Coating!!!!!

Started by rooster, January 27, 2005, 09:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Im really not informed well on this paint process other than its a tuffer paint and gasoline proof. Ive read a little about George's homemade oven!
I went to Harbor Fright site and read their info, they have it here on sale for 59 bucks.
I have a old David Bradley rototiller gas tank that I would like to clean up again and protect from gas. Was also thinking about painting the alternator case on the coupe. And a few other things.

:?: One of the questions I have is what kind of finish can I expect from this process and is it really worth it? Do you mix powder with auto paint hook the wires and blast away or what? Can the coating be cured in the kitchen oven? :?:

Got the red X for George's pictures of the muffers after being coated.

DRD57

Quote from: "rooster"Im really not informed well on this paint process other than its a tuffer paint and gasoline proof. Ive read a little about George's homemade oven!
I went to Harbor Fright site and read their info, they have it here on sale for 59 bucks.
I have a old David Bradley rototiller gas tank that I would like to clean up again and protect from gas. Was also thinking about painting the alternator case on the coupe. And a few other things.

:?: One of the questions I have is what kind of finish can I expect from this process and is it really worth it? Do you mix powder with auto paint hook the wires and blast away or what? Can the coating be cured in the kitchen oven? :?:

Got the red X for George's pictures of the muffers after being coated.

The finish depends greatly on the finish of the part that is being coated. Like paint, it doesn't hide much if anything.

The powder doesn't mix with anything. When sprayed, it attaches electrostatically to the part. Then when it's baked it melts, flows, and bonds to the substrate.

Don't use the kitchen oven. It'll stink up the whle house. You won't ever want to cook food in the oven again. You'll make the wife mad. You won't get any...  any uh...   food...   yeah that too.

rooster

So then it is not a liquid at all, its a power that melts during curing that has color in it. Dosen't sound to messy!

Thanks for the warning about the kitchen range! Sounds like I need about 350 miles closer to George. Ill figure something out!

If this coating can be sanded after a first coat can it be coated again to smothed out a finish :?: . Ive sand blasted the covers of my alternator and they do have a rough appearance. Ive seen a few painted covers and I like them. The fuel tank on the tiller I just want protected, Period.

purplepickup

Denny, for what it's worth, if you paint that tank with single stage acrylic automotive paint with hardener it will be resistant to gas and it's easy to do.  Urethane would be best but enamel is cheaper and stands up good too.  If you have a paint gun your only investment would be the hardener, reducer and paint and you could use the extra for something else.

I've been curious about the quality of the Harbor Freight powder coat system too.  The price sure is attractive.  

As far as an oven goes for powder coating, you could get a cheap used household electric range and put it in the shop.  It would work for small parts and you could always use it to heat up some coffee on those cold days. :D
George

Jbird

Denny, Powder coating is actually pretty messy. The powder is more like dust and a lot of it doesn't stick to the part, or anything else for that matter. I've been trying to devise a way to reclaim the "overspray". You can finish sand then recoat, but you'd better make sure your electrical connection remains good or the powder won't stick.
      Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

purplepickup

Quote from: "Jbird"Denny, Powder coating is actually pretty messy.
      Jbird 8)

That's right....you're the one that built the awesome oven.  I was trying to think who it was.

Denny, check out Jbird's home made oven http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=12294&highlight=#12294
George

rooster

Quote from: "purplepickup"Denny, for what it's worth, if you paint that tank with single stage acrylic automotive paint with hardener it will be resistant to gas and it's easy to do.  Urethane would be best but enamel is cheaper and stands up good too.  If you have a paint gun your only investment would be the hardener, reducer and paint and you could use the extra for something else.

I've been curious about the quality of the Harbor Freight powder coat system too.  The price sure is attractive.  

As far as an oven goes for powder coating, you could get a cheap used household electric range and put it in the shop.  It would work for small parts and you could always use it to heat up some coffee on those cold days. :D
Quote from: "purplepickup"Denny, for what it's worth, if you paint that tank with single stage acrylic automotive paint with hardener it will be resistant to gas and it's easy to do.  Urethane would be best but enamel is cheaper and stands up good too.  If you have a paint gun your only investment would be the hardener, reducer and paint and you could use the extra for something else.

I painted the fuel tank once before enamal from a spry can! It did about as much good as water colors the kids use, gas just washed it away and now the tank is rusted again. I do have some red paint that was used on the wheels of the car, also have the right hardner for it! Reading directions for mixing paint makes me dizzy. I wish I would have remember the tank when we did the wheels. I use the tiller about 2 hours a year, 24 tomato plants down the sunnyside of the house.

As far as an oven goes for powder coating, you could get a cheap used household electric range and put it in the shop.
finding a used ele oven should not be a problem! Is there alot of fumes in this melting process? :?:

I was at Harbor Fraight the other day geting a small blasting cabnet thay had on sale , thats when I saw the PC outfit for 59 bucks. The blasting cabnet would sure fit nice on top the ele stove. I have until Tuesday to make up my mind on the outfit. Powder coated alt pict attcheted! If I coated a alt case I could screw a bolt into it for the NEG connection, that could protect the threds too! Also have to coating away from bearing seat area!

Thanks guys for the input!

32tom

I use the Eastwood kit in a free (I like free) oven in the garage. Eastwood sells silcone plugs for holes and heat resistant tape for machined sufaces. It is messy in a localized area. A shop vac works for me. It's no more messy than a spray bomb and a heck of a lot better than a spray gun. I love the fact that you only have to wait 20 mins for the part to cool before you can continue to assemble it or mount it.

I use the oven timer so that I can do other things while it cures. I have to leave the garage to prevent dirt if I paint something. The easy set up and clean up makes doing 1 small part much less of a hassle.

The carb bases are done in the black wrinkle. I like contrasts in color and texture. The aluminum intake and cast iron thermostat housing are done in cast aluminum.
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.