Homemade Tester Rooster Engineering

Started by rooster, January 24, 2005, 12:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Resently Ive needed a conuity tester for testing  some alternators im working on. My Ohm
meter probes became unwired.

Every year we replace the smoke detector batteries at Xmas, thay still have better than 7
volts left in them. I thought it would be a good idea to put them to use rather than just
trash them! A powered test light was now in the making, using scraped parts for the
project.  For the probes I used gutted ink pins with #4 box nails installed in the ends. Red
and black wires soldered to the heads of the nails and pushed into the pins (gluing in
might be a good idea). I soldered in a light bulb from a old flash light then soldered the
wires to the 9V left over battery. I dont know how long I can expect out of the bulb sense
its not 9V , but for momentary use it might be just fine. I taped it all up and punched a
hold in the tape to hang it above the work bench. Works great! One with a sound would
be better. If I were to make another I would use magic marker pins for the probs and glue
their caps to the side of the battery for prob holders when not in use.  Isnt Winter lovely! :)

Sean

Quote from: "rooster"still have better than 7
volts left in them.

:wink: Tight -* :wink:

rooster

You Bet :D  Whens that swap meet at the fair grounds, an the other one just off Hy70!  Horse arena!
We got one here next Sunday over in Belville,Ill

Sean

Quote from: "rooster"You Bet :D  Whens that swap meet at the fair grounds, an the other one just off Hy70!  Horse arena!

Feb 19 & 20, I think. Did you go last year?

rooster

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "rooster"You Bet :D  Whens that swap meet at the fair grounds, an the other one just off Hy70!  Horse arena!

Feb 19 & 20, I think. Did you go last year?
NO, not last year, Ive gone to 2 of them though , right next to the outer road of hy 70, I have never been to fair grounds, is it any bigger? Cabin fever setting in.

Sean

You're talking about the Arena west of Columbia? I don't think they have them out there anymore, but I may be wrong. The last few Years have been at the Fairgrounds, which is a few miles north of I-70 on Hwy-63.

Yes, I would say its bigger, because not only do they have the Parts and other stuff inside the arena, they also have finished cars and project cars for sale out in the parking area in front of the arena. There were guys out front last year with trailers full of Fenders, Bucket Seats, Bumpers, Hubcaps, etc...