Tranny swap?

Started by EMSjunkie, January 23, 2005, 01:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

I was talking to the neighbor kid earlier, he has a 1988 Chevy Cavalier Z24 with an auto tranny, wants to a manual tranny in its place.
does any of the knights know what trannys will interchange?
its a 6 cyl, it has provisions under the dash for a clutch pedal, didn't pull the carpet back to see if the tranny tunnel has an opening already.
looked at some other sites, but could not find any useful info.
any body done this before?
any help will be appreciated.

thanks.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

model a vette

There wouldn't be a hole in the floor as FWD cars use cables for shifting. The easiest way to get all the parts would be to buy a wreck of the same car with a manual trans.
The cheapest/least work would be to sell the auto car and buy a car that has a manual!
Fieros have the same trans but the in-car shifter is different. Probably could use the shifter out of a FWD manual N, A or J car.
The clutch is hyd so you have to score those parts also.
Ed

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "model a vette"There wouldn't be a hole in the floor as FWD cars use cables for shifting. The easiest way to get all the parts would be to buy a wreck of the same car with a manual trans.
The cheapest/least work would be to sell the auto car and buy a car that has a manual!
Fieros have the same trans but the in-car shifter is different. Probably could use the shifter out of a FWD manual N, A or J car.

Thanks for the info :)  I really appreciate it. that was my first advice was to sell the auto and buy a stick, the kid doesn't have a job or a lot of motivation, but he has big aspirations. hopefully this is just a passing fancy of his.  :roll:

Thanks for the info.

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

parklane

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "model a vette"There wouldn't be a hole in the floor as FWD cars use cables for shifting. The easiest way to get all the parts would be to buy a wreck of the same car with a manual trans.

Thanks for the info :)  I really appreciate it. that was my first advice was to sell the auto and buy a stick, the kid doesn't have a job or a lot of motivation, but he has big aspirations. hopefully this is just a passing fancy of his.  :roll:

Thanks for the info.

Vance

Vance  If the kid lacks motivation, make sure he doesn't suck you into finishing what he started :wink:
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

EMSjunkie

Vance  If the kid lacks motivation, make sure he doesn't suck you into finishing what he started :wink:[/quote]

Been there done that with is last car, 89 Ford probe.
puked the clutch on it, wound up in my driveway, sat for 2 months, finally wound up replacing the clutch myself just to get it outta my way.
ain't gonna do it again :x

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders