Air compressor oil

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, January 21, 2005, 01:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

My air compressor has some difficulty starting in cold weather. I changed the oil last year and it has really been bad. Can't remember what brand the oil was, though I don't remember it being a famous name.

Any recommendations to help cold startup? How about a synthetic?

Thanks,

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

electric or Gas? won't crank, or cranks slow, or?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

How about a lamp next to the compressor to keep it warm?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tom36

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"My air compressor has some difficulty starting in cold weather. I changed the oil last year and it has really been bad. Can't remember what brand the oil was, though I don't remember it being a famous name.

Thanks,

Charlie

I had the same trouble with mine.  It is in an unheated part of the garage.  I got Amsoil synthetic oil for air compressors and it hasn't failed yet.  I live in Maine, so yes, it do get COLD.  Tom..

phat46

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"My air compressor has some difficulty starting in cold weather. I changed the oil last year and it has really been bad. Can't remember what brand the oil was, though I don't remember it being a famous name.

Thanks,

I was wondering the exact same thing. Yesterday i got a new (used from my brother) big compressor. It's too big to go where the old one was so I have to put it in an unheated part of the shop. I wondered today if it would start out there O.K. As usual, RRT has the answer before i eve ask the question!!!  :D

48ford

I run Mobil-1 and when its cold out I use a magnetic plug in heater(auto zone)it sticks on the crank case and keeps it warm,i run it off a timer.
Mine is in another building as I can't stand the noise anymore.
Hope this Helps
Russ

Charlie Chops 1940

Electric 5 horse 2 stage. Have slow blow low amperage in an old lever box just for this unit which is in the cold room in my shop. I know Amsoil makes a compressor synthetic and it sounds like that would work ok.

Russ, what grade Mobil 1?

Thanks guys.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Electric 5 horse 2 stage. Have slow blow low amperage in an old lever box just for this unit which is in the cold room in my shop. I know Amsoil makes a compressor synthetic and it sounds like that would work ok.

Russ, what grade Mobil 1?

Thanks guys.

Charlie

Ok, just wanted to be sure. Some of the new compressors are specifing 10W30 motor oil, I guess because SAE30 non detergent has gotten so hard to find. I have been using 20W40 in mine, an old Dayton industrial, for several years, and it has not had any bad effects so far.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Thanks Frank. Sounds like some Trailblazer Mobil 1 will probably be just fine. Think I'll do that between other jobs later today or tomorrow.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

48ford

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Thanks Frank. Sounds like some Trailblazer Mobil 1 will probably be just fine. Think I'll do that between other jobs later today or tomorrow.

Charlie
I use 10w/30 Mobil-1,Thats all I ever used in it,Looks good so far
Russ&Irene

brianangus

If you plan on doing any painting with your compressor, you should be using an oil specifically made for air compressors, not engine oil. Compressor oil is formulated to be totally free of silicone. If you are using engine oil, it has a high component of silicone. This oil with silicone in it will migrate past the piston rings, and be carried in a vapur thru all of your air hose, contaminating it. When you use your compressor to paint a car, you will be plagued big time with "fish-eyes" and "craters" in your paint job, the result of silicone contamination