2002 F150 SuperCrew Fuel Filter Q

Started by C9, January 20, 2005, 01:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Is there a special tool required to pop the fuel lines off the fuel filter?

Other than being smaller in diameter, the fuel filter looks very much like the ones that were on my 88 Mustang GT and 89 Ranger with 2.9 liter V6.

I got the hold down devices loose and slid back ok, but pulling on the line looks like it's gonna take some force.
The Mustang and Ranger fuel lines slid right off once the clamps were off.

Thought I'd ask before I tore things up.

5.4 liter engine fwiw.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "C9"Is there a special tool required to pop the fuel lines off the fuel filter?

Other than being smaller in diameter, the fuel filter looks very much like the ones that were on my 88 Mustang GT and 89 Ranger with 2.9 liter V6.

I got the hold down devices loose and slid back ok, but pulling on the line looks like it's gonna take some force.
The Mustang and Ranger fuel lines slid right off once the clamps were off.

Thought I'd ask before I tore things up.

5.4 liter engine fwiw.

If it is like my 91 Aerostar is I think you might need a release tool that releases an internal lock inside the fitting.

C9

Thanks Frank.

I didn't think this post went through.

In any event, I went to the parts house and found a double ended tool that releases the internal spring inside the hose end where it slides onto the fuel filter.

Glad I did, the parts guy told me of one customer who decided not to buy the $17. tool and tore both hoses up getting the filter off.

Only cost him $300. + for new hoses from Ford.

Pays to look before you leap sometimes.

(The tool is good for Fords 1990 & up as well as most fuel injected ChryCo's.)
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.