Borg Warner T56 shifter relocation

Started by flt-blk, January 15, 2005, 01:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flt-blk

I am considering a T56 out of a 93 Camaro for my S2D Commander if I can move the shifter forward a couple inches.  

I found all the goodies for the new Tremec but they won't work on an earlier Borg Warner.

Does anybody know of a relocation kit for a GM 6sp.  I need 3" (Story of my life)  :oops:
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Scrap Fe

Quote from: "flt-blk"I am considering a T56 out of a 93 Camaro for my S2D Commander if I can move the shifter forward a couple inches.  

I found all the goodies for the new Tremec but they won't work on an earlier Borg Warner.

Does anybody know of a relocation kit for a GM 6sp.  I need 3" (Story of my life)  :oops:

I am using a '97 T-56 in my '39 Chevy and just went out in the garage to check it out.  I believe you could you use a piece of 1/4" or 5-16" x 1-3/4" x 4" bar stock bolted to the existing shifter arm to space the shifter handle further forward.  

Drill (2) holes to bolt the bar stock to the stock shifter arm coming from the transmission and (2) holes further forward to bolt the shifter handle to the bar stock.  You could probably use the factory rubber shifter boot to cover the bar stock spacer as the rubber boot is quite large.  I also bought a short throw Hurst shifter which shortened the  1st to 2nd throw from 6-3/8" down to 4" at the shifter ball.  This will give you more clearance with the front of the seat.

I needed to fabricate a deeper transmission tunnel on my '39.  The T-56 has a large case from top to bottom and I needed to bring the upper part of the transmission (shifter rail portion) into the passenger compartment to give me the ground clearance I wanted.

If you want more detail, send me a PM and I can mock up my idea on my transmission and take a digital picture to send you.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "flt-blk"I am considering a T56 out of a 93 Camaro for my S2D Commander if I can move the shifter forward a couple inches.  

No, but have you considered making a shifter like this;
http://www.tvrna.com/tech-a02.html

I am thinking of making one like this for my T5; although I need more than 3".
I am thinking that the front pivot would be restrained to the vertical plane.  The lateral movement at the new shifter location would be narrowed; but, because I also need a tall stick, the two will compensate and the sideways throw may be reasonable.  It shouldn't cost much, although it will take a fair amount of thought and work. The other disadvantage is the trans hump will need to be higher.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"
No, but have you considered making a shifter like this;
http://www.tvrna.com/tech-a02.html

I am thinking of making one like this for my T5; although I need more than 3".
I am thinking that the front pivot would be restrained to the vertical plane.  The lateral movement at the new shifter location would be narrowed; but, because I also need a tall stick, the two will compensate and the sideways throw may be reasonable.  It shouldn't cost much, although it will take a fair amount of thought and work. The other disadvantage is the trans hump will need to be higher.[/quote

Clever idea - seems I've seen that done on '39 style toploaders. You could have all the pivot mechanism above the "shifters" and their boots - might be kinda neat that way.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

jaybee

That's an interesting way to deal with a common problem.  I like it because you could put the shifter exactly where you want it.  For me having everything in the right place has at least as much impact on enjoying a car as having the right mechanicals.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

flt-blk

Hey Pope, we think a lot alike. I found that site too and have sketched up
a couple ideas on how to make that linkage work.  Even made a short shift
version with a taller fixed front upright.

I am still trying to fit all this under a bench seat that has already been
upholstered.

The more I think about it the more I realize I should go with the WC T5 and S-10 tail shaft.  That's a lot of work for one extra gear.
Philosophy of hot rods

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "flt-blk"Hey Pope, we think a lot alike. I found that site too and have sketched up
a couple ideas on how to make that linkage work.  Even made a short shift
version with a taller fixed front upright.

I am still trying to fit all this under a bench seat that has already been
upholstered.

The more I think about it the more I realize I should go with the WC T5 and S-10 tail shaft.  That's a lot of work for one extra gear.

Keep in touch, as this is a common (and interesting) problem. I found a wrecker in England who has the TVR shifter mechanism for 125 pounds plus VAT and freight. http://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/  

Like you I have pondered other options.  
I looked at the S10 tailhousing, and am trying to determine if it will fit other T5's, and what other parts are required.  We don't have that box here, so I would have to import one, or the parts.  It has a different mount position to mine for example.  Have you figured that out?  My box is close ratio, and brand new, so I don't really want to replace the whole box; and preferrably not open it.

Another option I considered was to get another tail housing (readily available and cheap here); cut the shifter 'box' out of it, then graft it into my housing further forward.  This would mean shortening the shift rail to suit.  I talked to a friend of mine about this, who is an extraordinary fitter/welder, and he says he would gve it a go, if I got it ready.  It does look feasible to me, albeit fiddly to get cut, fitted and jigged-up.  I'd leave the old shifter 'box' at the back and use that for the alignment jig, then just cap it.  At the end of the day, if it went 'pear shaped' it would be just a matter of putting another extension housing on it.

enjenjo

The S10 Shifter and tail housing will fit the other T5 boxes. You have to change the tail housing and shift rail. I havean S10 T5 out in the barn if you want a picture.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "enjenjo"The S10 Shifter and tail housing will fit the other T5 boxes. You have to change the tail housing and shift rail. I havean S10 T5 out in the barn if you want a picture.
Thanks Frank,
I know generally what they look like, so I don't need a picture.
I would however appreciate some dimensions on the tailhousing:
* O/A length
* length to mount,
* length to shifter centre, and
* the output shaft dia and spline count,

I wonder whether I'll need the main output shaft?

flt-blk

I have a whole bunch of bookmarks on my home computer, I will try and post links tonight.
Philosophy of hot rods

enjenjo

The S10 tail housing is 15 1/4" long from the rear face of the trans case. the output shaft is 15 7/8" long, and has the same spines as a 350 turbo trans. One other thing, the speedo drive gear, or pickup wheel is located closer to the trans  case than the other T5 trans, but it can be relocated on the shaft.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "enjenjo"The S10 tail housing is 15 1/4" long from the rear face of the trans case. the output shaft is 15 7/8" long, and has the same spines as a 350 turbo trans. One other thing, the speedo drive gear, or pickup wheel is located closer to the trans  case than the other T5 trans, but it can be relocated on the shaft.
Thanks Frank,
It is close; mine measures 14 7/8" and 15 9/16"
The spline is slightly different; the dia is virtually identical; however, there are 28 splines on this T5 and only 27 on the TH350.

In my research I found a place in CA that does the mod on the Mustang WC T5 for around $300 over the normal reco. so the parts shouldn't be too much.  http://www.moderndriveline.com/
They say it moves the shifter forward around 8" on a Mustang, and my Commodore one is about 2" further back than the Mustang; so, that would be good.  In fact, on the Commodore box the shifter 'box' actually overhangs the back of the tail housing by 3/8"!