looking for a part.

Started by 48ford, January 14, 2005, 12:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

I need a vacuum switch that they sold back in the 70s.
It worked with the a/c compresser,when you lost vacuum it cut the power to the compresser freeing up a little power on 4 cyl motors.anyone know where I can get one of these.
J.C. whitney used to sell them.
Can you help?
Thanks Russ&Irene

model a vette

I can't help you with the vacuum style switch, but have you thought of using an electric cut out? You should wire it thru a relay. Now that I think about it you probably have a relay that turns on the compressor. Just wire a switch that would cut the wire to the relay. The switch could be a micro switch. Just mount it where the accelerator would hit it at higher revs, kind of like the downshift switch on TH400s
Ed

58 Yeoman

My 89 dodge minivan would quit blowing air when under a load; it may have a switch.  I'll look at my book tonight and see if they had a switch, or it was a glitch.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Well, I looked through my books, and can't come up with a number for you. I know what you mean, I have even used them in the past, but I don't have a good number. Most GM 4 cylinders used them well into the 80's
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Russ, the minivan I had, had a 'wide open throttle cutout relay' mounted on the left fender side shield, according to the repair manual.  I circled it in the lower right corner; the a/c compressor is in the upper right.  It's hard to see here, but if you need the schematic, I could email it to you.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"My 89 dodge minivan would quit blowing air when under a load; it may have a switch.  I'll look at my book tonight and see if they had a switch, or it was a glitch.

:arrow:   :lol:  ...... you never know with a Dodge. glitch or a switch
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

48ford

Thanks for the help.
The dodge unit should work for me.
Thanks Russ&Irene