Site will be down for maintainence

Started by Fat Cat, January 08, 2005, 03:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Cat

I am going to be taking down the entire website to move it to a new hosting company on January 20th. It will probably be down for the better part of 2 days. So it should be back up on the 23rd. I will add details to this thread as the time comes closer.

river1

Quote from: "Fat Cat"It will probably be down for the better part of 2 days.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

OK if it'll make it better!  maybe i'll even get something done in the garage. :D

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Fat Cat"It will probably be down for the better part of 2 days.

OK if it'll make it better!  maybe i'll even get something done in the garage. :D

later jim

or you could read your magazines!!!!   LOL  :P  :lol:
Debb

Fat Cat

later jim

Well I should have things back up into running state in less than a few hours but it can take up to 2 days for the DNS servers to update their records to the new server address. That is something I have no control over.

But it will be better. Things with the current host have just seemed to spiral out of control. They are making changes it seems for the sake of making htem not because they need to. They do not inform the users as to the changes and the costs are not in line with the standards across the hosting companies. The are charging more for less and providing a bad service for that.

I will not stand for that kind of service and won't pay for it. After that last bout of outages that I could not get any answers for days on and was offered a $50 credit for my time and that is for someone that hosts 3 websites with them I felt it was time to find someone more reliable.

I believe that I have found that with the company I will now be using for hosting. Once I have made the move I will be giving you more details on what we can expect from our new host.

And just so you know I hate moving things around as much as you do but it had just become to much work the way things were. Just to give you an idea of how much work it can be I started with the new hosting account on January 1st. On the second I started moving all the static web pages to the new host and I can not move the forums until I have shut them down on the 20th.

river1

Quote from: "Fat Cat"And just so you know I hate moving things around as much as you do but it had just become to much work the way things were.

well it's just like a car right? sometimes you just need to change the oil and sometimes you need to change the engine.

Quote from: "Fat Cat"Just to give you an idea of how much work it can be I started with the new hosting account on January 1st. On the second I started moving all the static web pages to the new host and I can not move the forums until I have shut them down on the 20th.

and let me say we appreciate everything you do for us.

THANKS jim

KustomLincolnLady

and let me say we appreciate everything you do for us.

THANKS jim

Yes, we certinaly do!!!!!  You da BOSS!!! We will do whatever you say  :shock: or should I say we will wait while you DO!!  :wink:

WZ JUNK

I hope you know how much I appreciate all your work.  This site, you, and all the people on here have been so good to me.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

HotRodLadyCrusr

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and not just doing it outta the blue.  I'm another one that apprecaites all the hard work you do for us.  If you need help with anything just let me know.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Fat Cat

OK newest update. I am going to be replacing the current forum software witht he lastest version. In that process I am going to have to reinstall all the modifications that were made to the forum software with the current version(the biggest reason why I had not done it yet!)  :) I am hoping to get that handled the first part of next week and then shut it down on thursday next week and I should have it up some time on saturday or sunday.

I will have an alternate address that the site can be accessed from right now. So once I start the DNS move of roddingroundtable.com which can take up to 72 hours you should be able to access it from the other address as soon as it comes back up.

The Good/Bad news is I will have all next week to get ready as I am going to be unemployed as of the 14th. So I can get this all done and will not have to worry about work and play at the same time.

I also plan to add a couple of things that have been requested and have not been added yet. Yes Bruce, I will be including the Printer friendly pages mod to the list. I just downloaded the newest version for inclusion with the software.

And I sort of realized after it was posted that some of what I said in the last message sounded like whining. I was not complaining about my level of work on this site but rather just trying to inform of the complexity of the matter.

Also Please, Please if you have a old email address in the database please make sure to update it. I will send out a message to all the registered users once the site is back up and running. If your email is out of date it will bounce the message. I get  or 4 of those a week and sometimes 2-3 a day because of out of date email addresses. The most recent one is Parklane's email address I am getting a bounce back on every message sent to parklane@sentex.net with a 550 User Unknown message.

Frank,Is the unemployment a temporary thing?Good luck and I'd also like to add my thanks for all the work you do with the RRT.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

river1

Quote from: "Fat Cat"And I sort of realized after it was posted that some of what I said in the last message sounded like whining. I was not complaining about my level of work on this site but rather just trying to inform of the complexity of the matter.

i don't know i reread all the posts and the only one i see whining was ME :oops:

later jim

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
I also plan to add a couple of things that have been requested and have not been added yet. Yes Bruce, I will be including the Printer friendly pages mod to the list. I just downloaded the newest version for inclusion with the software.

Thanks, Frank!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you had forgotten about it, but I wasn't going to ask.  I know you've been busy at work, and had many more-important things to deal with!

Once again, I'd like to thank you for all your efforts in keeping the RRT alive and running.  

Good luck on your employment situation.  ...I sincerely hope that this temporary unemployment does not put a strain on your new marriage.

BTW, isn't it time for the annual fund drive?

~~~~Bruce
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"I thought you had forgotten about it, but I wasn't going to ask.  I know you've been busy at work, and had many more-important things to deal with!

No I hadn't it was just one of those issues that had not been a major issue yet

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
BTW, isn't it time for the annual fund drive?

~~~~Bruce

It is but I want to wait until after the site is back up. That way I do not have any lost email

Fat Cat

Quote from: "40"Frank,Is the unemployment a temporary thing?Good luck and I'd also like to add my thanks for all the work you do with the RRT.

I hope so. I would hate to think I am permanently out of work. But the answer to your question is I will not be working for that employer anymore ever.

parklane

Frank  Along with everyone else, I want to thank you for keeping this board going. There are 4 boards that I follow, and this is by far the best one!!

I'm always looking for good help to work with us, if you don't mind commuting to the London ON area :)

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??