Looking to identify my power steering box...

Started by My52Chebby, December 17, 2004, 10:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi all,

Brothers make a conversion kit for '47-'59 Chevy pickups that will adapt a late model power steering box. I have a few questions that are puzzling me.

Which model number Saginaw steering box does the Brothers kit adapt? Are there more than one that can be used? Are there casting numbers on the box?

On their website, in the installation instructions, they seem to show 2 different installations. One which bolts the late model steering box straight to the frame using one existing bumper attachment bolt hole, 2 new ones you must drill through the side of the frame and a fourth you attach to a triangular tab welded in the appropriate place on top of the frame. The other installation (Stage 1) shows an adaptor plate between the new box and the frame. Which installation is the '47-'55 one?

Any help on this conversion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

My52Chebby

enjenjo

In the instructions it says the plate is used on 47 to 55 first series because the frame isn't high enough for the bottom bolt on the box.  The box used is an 805 from a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup, which is different than one for a car, the mounting bolts are on the other side of the box.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

My52Chebby

Hi again,

What year truck was the Saginaw 805 box used on? I'm trying to identify the steeing box laying on my shop floor.

Thank you Enjenjo for both your replies.

My52Chebby

enjenjo

67 and newer. The one for the kit is 73 to 87. With the pitman shaft pointed down, if the mounting holes are on the right, it will work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.