Maybe tomorrow

Started by GPster, December 10, 2004, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41ChevyTrucker

I didn't mean to abandon the RRT, I just got sidetracked! Heck it all started here for me a few years ago on the previous board. My project vision really hasn't changed much, I just missed a few self-imposed deadlines. So I stopped making them. :lol:  Last I left off here I was trying to figure out how to Z my frame I think. I had in my head this weird way I was going to do it. After getting in to it "my way" I finally saw the light and ended up doing it exactly as was suggested here to by enjenjo and 1fatgmc in the first place!  :oops:  Stacking tube, welding, cutting the angles and then boxing. I went through a lot of trial and error but I think I have it the way I want and its straight!   The final specs:

Wheelbase: 140"  
Ride Height: 4.5" level (lowest point is frame rail, stock front steering geometry)
Rear tire diameter: 29"
Front tire diameter: 24.5"
Motor just clears the hood, will have to modify the air cleaners to either make them stick out or sit down another inch.

Hey I found your pics! What did you decide on the grill and what motor do you have hiding in there?

GPster

The engine is the '53 Chevy car engine. This project is still basically a re-bodied ied '53 Chevrolet. Still has the Cast-Iron Powerglide, IFS (although moved to inhance style) and closed driveshaft rear end. Now that the hood is trimmed the way I want and the strut rods have been added to the radiator support, I'll start playing more intensely with the grill. While "dumpster diving" after the flood I found a plastic expandable baby gate that's panels may suffice. I forget, are you leaving the 6 in yours?  First year Corvettes had the 6 in them and they had a dandy (spelled EXPENSIVE) intake with 3 side-draft carbs on it. That would help your clearance problem. OR you could take the manofold assembly and mount it upside-down and use an up-draft carb like Model "T"s and "A"s did. Or someone on this site comes up with the idea of using motorcycle carbs     ( but that may be on the Rambler and they won't let him have the keys).    I un-wrapped my Christmas Present last night . My Missouri doors are exactally what I bid on. The stories about 2 bidders, second set are better, having to take them off another truck and all seemed to have vanished in the back of USF trucks. Sometimes we can be pleased by not being surprised. GPster

enjenjo

I have an updraft carb I took off the 235 in the COE, but I sold the intake.
Both the carb and intake are like gold, they only came on the COE trucks.
A little hint, if you want to get rid of the stock hood hinges, the COE used 41 to 48 coupe trunk hinges on the hood. I have some if you need them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

41ChevyTrucker

yeah I am using the 1958 235 that came in the truck. Those vette sidedraft carbs are my dream setup! For now I have a repop dual offy intake with progressive holley/webers. Modifying either the adapter/risers or the air cleaners should get the clearance. Having the two air cleaner hats stick out of the hood about half way might look kind of cool.

Enjenjo, I need some hinges. I am going to search around to see if I can find out what those look like. How/where do they attach to the cab on the coe?

41ChevyTrucker

enjenjo

QuoteEnjenjo, I need some hinges. I am going to search around to see if I can find out what those look like. How/where do they attach to the cab on the coe?

They are a plated hinge that is exposed, about 1" wide, and 6 to7" long overall. They bolt down through the cowl with a doubler plate underneath.

41ChevyTrucker

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteEnjenjo, I need some hinges. I am going to search around to see if I can find out what those look like. How/where do they attach to the cab on the coe?

They are a plated hinge that is exposed, about 1" wide, and 6 to7" long overall. They bolt down through the cowl with a doubler plate underneath.

I was looking at my hood this weekend when I realized that I am going to make the whole front a one piece removable/tilt! not sure how yet but it can't be too hard right?  :lol:  Gonna attack that after I have my driveline and brakes hooked up and the cab mounts figured.

purplepickup

Quote from: "41ChevyTrucker".....I am going to make the whole front a one piece removable/tilt! not sure how yet but it can't be too hard right?  :lol:  
I don't know if you've seen 1FATGMC's page on how he did his.  He might see this and give you some pointers but in case he misses it here's a picture of his tilt front end and a link to his page on how he did it.  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/underconstruction/underconstruction7.html

George

41ChevyTrucker

thanks! I forgot he had done that! I would like to try to keep the fenders intact if I can. I'm sure there is probably some functional reason everyone cuts them there though?

GPster

Quote from: "41ChevyTrucker"thanks! I forgot he had done that! I would like to try to keep the fenders intact if I can. I'm sure there is probably some functional reason everyone cuts them there though?
You might be able to do it with a '41. I'll tell you why it is the easiest way to do it with some other body styles. The first problem is where you choose to put the hinge point. Any body part that is below the fulcrom will have to arc back and up before it starts to arc foreward and over. To make the part go foreward when it goes up and over, the radius (center of the arc of the hinge) needs to below the lowest part tha you are going to "FLIP". If you are going to put the front sheetmetal so the bottom is 4" from the ground then the hinge might only be 3" from the ground. Also on the '47 - '55 truck body style the body is wider through the center of the doors than at the bottom. So when you would flip that front sheetmetal foreward the bottom of the fenders would scrape the paint off the cowl if it would open at all. If it did open you would be forcing the bottoms of the fenders wider than they are at rest. That flexing would be hard on any joints and filler you used  to make the assembley "ONE PIECE". Also remember that the hinge joint needs to be far foreward. If the joint is 6" off the ground but 7" behind the front edge of the grill then the flip would never go all the way open without putting the grill in the groung at least 1". You seem to be able to do photo imaging take a picture of the truck's profile and play with it keeping these rules in mind. GPster

Sean

So what color is Sumners truck? I always thought it was Burgundy, but the picture George posted looks Purple.

[/quote]

river1

it is purple for sure.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

purplepickup

Hey GPster, I don't know if you visit the HAMB much or not but they've had a couple of posts about a fenderless '46 Chevy truck on ebay.  It kind of reminded me of what you have talked about doing to your '51.  I know it's not the same but with a little imagination......... 8)

Your truck

The ebay truck

There's a few more pictures of it on the auction.  Maybe something done to that truck can enhance your vision  :wink:  You might want to save a couple of pics for future reference......then maybe you don't like it but I thought of you anyway.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4512414540&category=6173
George

GPster

Quote from: "purplepickup"I don't know if you visit the HAMB much                                                                                                      The only times I go there are when I've been given a particular site with something to see. Trying to learn the pecullarlarities of that site would probably make me forget something about this site. Mine is pretty much the configuration that it will be. Checking that Ebay site I would have to agree with the seller. I can't consider any vehicle with a $20,000.00 srarting price and a stated value of $28,000.00 a "Rat Rod". Dollarbill from  HAMB is building on but no one has given me any indication if there are any new pictures. GPster