Frame off

Started by 42AeroSedan, December 07, 2004, 01:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

42AeroSedan

I am laying the ground work to start my project.  I plan to take the body off the frame on my '42.  My question is the best place to support the shell??  I was planning on using the mounts underneath the firewall but what about the rest??  Should I go all the way to the rear and just have the two supports or should I use more??

Thanks,
Larry

enjenjo

Is this just to remove it from the frame? Or long term storage? Are you going to be doing any work on the body?

To pick them off, I generally lift from the top of the door opening with a spreader bar, and in the rear I lift near the top of the trunk opening.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

I've been pulling my '47 on and off the frame to check for fit, and where I've been hooking into is up front on the lower mounts where the firewall connect to the chassis, and in the rear I go through the rear window and into the body to frame mount holes located there.  I once picked up a car from the roof and got some movement, since then I always pick from the body mount areas.

58 Yeoman

I use the front body mounts at the bottom of the firewall.  At the rear, still using my engine lift, I hook chain hooks to the sides of the body at the very rear, and use pieces of 2x4's to keep the chain from hitting the body, and lift it there.  Haven't had any probs.  For storage, I use a metal sawhorse under the rear where the bumper would bolt on.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

42AeroSedan

I will be taking the body off so I can send the frame out to be blasted.  Hopefully this does not turn into long storage.  I will need some body work but I plan to send the body off to be blasted also.  Then I will know for sure how much body work I will have ahead of me.

I would assume I should remove the glass before I remove the body from the frame??

Thanks again,
Larry

enjenjo

Make sure the body is structurally sound before you remove it from the frame. If there is any question, brace it with some tubing on the inside before removing it. Any weight you can take off before removal will make the job easier, doors, glass, deck lid, ect.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "42AeroSedan"I am laying the ground work to start my project.  I plan to take the body off the frame on my '42.  My question is the best place to support the shell??  I was planning on using the mounts underneath the firewall but what about the rest??  Should I go all the way to the rear and just have the two supports or should I use more??

Thanks,
Larry
I built a lifting jig that goes in through the rear quarters and picks up some strong points near the pillars and rear floor kick-up.  Also the body trestles.  The whole thing 'knocks-down' for storage.

I chose to do it this way, mainly for safety; but also, for when it is painted etc., I figured there was less chance of damaging anything.

It works very well, I can safely remove, and refit the body by myself.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"
Quote from: "42AeroSedan"I am laying the ground work to start my project.  I plan to take the body off the frame on my '42.  My question is the best place to support the shell??  I was planning on using the mounts underneath the firewall but what about the rest??  Should I go all the way to the rear and just have the two supports or should I use more??

Thanks,
Larry
I built a lifting jig that goes in through the rear quarters and picks up some strong points near the pillars and rear floor kick-up.  Also the body trestles.  The whole thing 'knocks-down' for storage.

I chose to do it this way, mainly for safety; but also, for when it is painted etc., I figured there was less chance of damaging anything.

It works very well, I can safely remove, and refit the body by myself.

Pope Downunder

:oops:
Sorry; let's see if I can post a couple of pictures.