stainless king pins

Started by kb426, December 03, 2004, 08:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I took the 53 for it's first drive since the rebuild tonight. The steering is very definately easier. I can't say how long they will last but in steering effort, it's a nice improvement. If you're going to stay with a straight axle, you should at least look at them.
TEAM SMART

Bruce Dorsi

Pardon my ignorance, but why would STAINLESS king pins make the steering easier?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Dave

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Pardon my ignorance, but why would STAINLESS king pins make the steering easier?

Im with you on this one. Other than helping with possible corrosion or rust down the road they shouldnt have any effect on the steering at all. Now if you have a different bearing bushing setup that we havent heard about it could? be a different deal.
Dave

kb426

Pardon me for lack of explanation.  The SSB kit has needle bearings where the bushings were. The king pin has a reduced shank where the bearings are. You install one end of bearings, put the king pin and spindle in place and press in the other ends bearings. The kit comes with a sleeve to allow you to press or drive in the bearings. The only down side would be disassembly that would require pressing out the bearings on one end to remoce a king pin to take a spindle off. I bought mine through RB's auto at about a 10% discount.
TEAM SMART

Bruce Dorsi

Thank you for the explanation.  
...I understand now!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Dave

Quote from: "kb426"Pardon me for lack of explanation.  The SSB kit has needle bearings where the bushings were. The king pin has a reduced shank where the bearings are. You install one end of bearings, put the king pin and spindle in place and press in the other ends bearings. The kit comes with a sleeve to allow you to press or drive in the bearings. The only down side would be disassembly that would require pressing out the bearings on one end to remoce a king pin to take a spindle off. I bought mine through RB's auto at about a 10% discount.

Some where  i have the magazine where they installed one of those kits in the zipper bodied lakes modified. Looked nice but i think for now ill stich with the old pin and bushings in the 32
Dave