question for our Canadian members

Started by river1, December 03, 2004, 07:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

i've been told the sears canada craftsman hand tools are made in japan. is this true?

thanks jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

rooster

Im not sure about the tools but thay do make a brand named Compain. Recently Ive heard that Kmat is buying Sears.

tom

i do not buy craftsman. however, i know they are sold with the craftsman name and a lifetime warranty. i am not sure where they are made. and everyone that uses them likes the quality.

tom

enjenjo

Some of the US Craftsman tools are made overseas too. I have Craftsman adjustable wrenches that are stamped "made in Taiwan"
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have a set of combo  end wrenches that are made in japan Craftsman.

The Companion line of tools I do not buy... just me
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

oiler

Quote from: "river1"i've been told the sears canada craftsman hand tools are made in japan. is this true?

Not sure of where they are built but I find them to be pretty crappy.
I wouldn't buy them for work and i'm always suprised when i see U.S. members talking about buying Craftsman all the time.
I'll go to Canadian Tire before I'd go to Sears and as any true Canadian will tell ya thats not a good thing.
Jeff :D

TerryO

Here in the north end of Toronto there is an Emerson Electric factory that builds power tools for several different retailers in North America including Sears, however I don't know which tools they are. I suspect all of Sears hand tools come from the far east. As long as it has a lifetime warranty and I can get it from a big box store, I don't much care where it was made. It would if I made my living with them though.

Dave

Quote from: "river1"i've been told the sears canada craftsman hand tools are made in japan. is this true?

thanks jim

Been buying craftsman forever no complaints but i dont buy the cheaper line either. I do know that now if you brake a ratchet they dont give you a new one they give you a rebuilt one? Whats up with that ?
Dave  :?:

tom

i posed this question about maufacturing location to the sears web sight. the following is a quote from their reply.

"We have a large amount of manufacturers both on and off-shore for all types of Sears items."
  they wanted to know if i was asking about a certain tool and they could tell where that item was made. i guess it is buyer beware.

32 Chevy

Quote from: "tom"i posed this question about maufacturing location to the sears web sight. the following is a quote from their reply.

"We have a large amount of manufacturers both on and off-shore for all types of Sears items."
  they wanted to know if i was asking about a certain tool and they could tell where that item was made. i guess it is buyer beware.

Since my tools were taken the burgulary, I have been looking for replacement tools. My favorite ratchets that were taken were old Craftsman stuff that I bought many years ago. Well I gotta tell you how disappointed I am with the junk that I just saw at Sears with the Craftsman name. The pawls in the ratchets feel like sawdust and the edges  have sharp edges. And most of the sets have thick walled 6 point sockets instead of the thin ewall 12 pointers.

The salesman showed me some with polished handles, but upon inspection the guts of the cheapo and 'professional' ratchet wrenches are identical. Same part number for replacment parts.

I cant afford Proto or Snap on, and not being a professional could not justify the expense for those brands. So, what manufacturers are there that make a quality tool for a reasonable price?

Dave

Fat Cat

Quote from: "32 Chevy"So, what manufacturers are there that make a quality tool for a reasonable price?

Dave

Take a look at Kobalt. I have used some of their stuff. And the rachets are real nice. The price is not bad either.

32 Chevy

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "32 Chevy"So, what manufacturers are there that make a quality tool for a reasonable price?

Dave

Take a look at Kobalt. I have used some of their stuff. And the rachets are real nice. The price is not bad either.

Thanks! I didnt think of going to Lowe's because I thought their stuff would be about the same at Home Depot. I looked the the Home Depot stuff, and could not believe what their marketing geniuses came up with; Their 'professional' quality sockets and wrenches are not chrome finish, but FLAT BLACK! Obviously they have never dropped a socket into a black painted engine bay or onto a greasy garage floor. Sheeesh!

Dave

enjenjo

You could also look at S&K, I like their ratchets best. I bought some Harbor Freight impact sockets a couple years ago, and have yet to break one. The price for the whole set was less than one Snapon socket.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "32 Chevy"
I have been looking for replacement tools.

...Well I gotta tell you how disappointed I am with the junk that I just saw at Sears with the Craftsman name.

...I cant afford Proto or Snap on, and not being a professional could not justify the expense for those brands. So, what manufacturers are there that make a quality tool for a reasonable price?

==================================

I know what you mean, Dave.  (Sorry to hear of your loss!)

I earned a living for many years using Craftsman wrenches and socket sets.  For me, they did everything the more expensive brands did, at a fraction of the price!

Although most of my hand tools are Craftsman, over the years I have acquired tools of many different brands such as Proto, S-K, Williams, Snap-On, Cornwall, Blackhawk, etc, and I see little difference in performance between the brands.  ....Some tools just become more familiar to us, or feel more comfortable in our hand, and become our "favorites."

While I believe in buying QUALITY tools, I have learned that price, or country of origin, is not always indicative of quality!

Almost twenty years ago, I bought  very-inexpensive, Taiwanese-made, "Pittsburg Forge" raised-pattern combo wrenches (1/4"-2"), as well as 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" socket sets from Harbor Freight, because I did not want to leave my "good" tools at the carwash, where they are frequently "borrowed."  

Since buying the Harbor Freight cheapies, they have been abused in ways I would never treat my "good" tools.  ...I think nothing of beating on them with a sledge hammer, or using long "cheater pipes" on them for extra leverage.  ....They are used by several people, and are mis-treated in every conceivable way.  ....They have taken everything I have thrown at them, and have never failed.  .....I heartily recommend checking them out!  

There are different sets offered by Harbor Freight, so be careful.  ...The ones I recommend carry the "Pittsburg Forge" name, and I think they carried a lifetime warranty.

The HF pricing is almost laughable, in comparison to "name" brands, and they are certainly NOT a status symbol, but I don't think you will wear them out in your lifetime.

.....just my 2 cents!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

BELLM

Sears has a lower priced lime called Companion, apparently.  I bought a 14.4 V battery drill set 6 months ago for $35, bought 2, going to give 1 for Christmas gift.  Came with jig saw, dovetail sander, light &2 batteries.  Only problem I have had is batteries seem to lose their charge sitting for a few weeks.  I have all kins of tools accumulated since I was 12 yrs old, 44 yrs.  Harbor Freight opened a store near me, have bought a lot of their stuff.  Do not do production work, hobby & farm only, but real satisfied.  I think those 2 big boxes under the Christmas tree are Harbor Freight parts washer & tire changer! :wink: