GM Steering column Ign Switch

Started by Dirk35, December 01, 2004, 07:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

Can someone tell me what wires go where on this?

I have the Haywire kit, and its column switch it shows is nothign like mine.

Here is a pic.

Dirk35

Dirk35

This is off my column, not from the wire kit.

Dirk35

here is what Haywire sent to plug in??? I think Im missing a peice as this goes nowhere.

The purple one says: "Starter solenoid"

The Pink one says: "B-9"

The Brown one says: "Accessory Power"

The red one says: " Main power"

Dirk35

another pic of the pig tail off my column, Not from Haywire.

Dirk35

rooster

Thay look to me like thay go to the ignition stw on top the colume, there should be another for the dimmer stw,  GM Colume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dirk35

Guess I should bee more clear, as usual.

I am trying to wire my ignition switch on my chevy column into my Haywire wire kit, but the instructions are very vague.

That instruction sheet from the painelss kit would be very helpful if it would load, but it doesnt.

Does someone have a schematic or explanation of what each of these wire are coming out of my column on the ignition switch and which wire I should run to them?

FWIW, I only have 4 wires not ran somewhere to hook up the ignition, but there are 9 wires between the two pig tail peices coming out from the column.

rooster

this is for ez wire and painless , its wire are named on the wire, dont know it it will help. Sounds like you got wrong kit, if you didnt get GM plugs with it!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Dirk35"here is what Haywire sent to plug in??? I think Im missing a peice as this goes nowhere.

That looks like the pig tail that they send which is used to wire to a regular key switch.  It is hard wired to the switch and then plugs into the harness.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "Dirk35"here is what Haywire sent to plug in??? I think Im missing a peice as this goes nowhere.

That looks like the pig tail that they send which is used to wire to a regular key switch.  It is hard wired to the switch and then plugs into the harness.

I have been trying to find a place on the net that would give you more information but I have not found a GM wiring diagram on the net.   I have some in the shop but it would be easier for you to just look at a diagram.  In the past I would go to the local library as they have repair manuals.  I made a copy of a wiring diagram for the vehicle I need information on.  In your case I would pick a late 70's Camaro or Monte Carlo.  Most GM vehicles use a similiar color code and wiring design, find one and make a copy.  A good diagram will give you a picture of those plugs and then you trace the wires to their point of origin.  Most of the after market wiring kits come with those plugs prewired.  If someone does not step up to help you, I can get you the information tomorrow.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Dirk35"the instructions from Haywire.

I'm not going to be much help, but here goes.

That "Haywire' diagram looks like the neutral safety switch, not the ignition/blinker/dipper switch.

I'd go to the library and copy the wiring diagram for the column, (most GM columns are the same anyway) then match that up to your harness.

The plug that came with your column can be rewired, using new spades (I assume you know how to get these out by depressing the tang down the wire-side of the terminal).  Once you know what is what, it should be pretty simple to crimp some new terminals to your harness, snap them into your old plug and you are away.

Charlie Chops 1940

Neil

I still uncrimp the old spades and solder new wires in them...a holdover from the days when we had to use all the stuff from the donor car cuz there wasn't anywhere to buy that stuff. Well. maybe there was, but we were too unsophisticated to figure out where to get such stuff.

Dirk - do you know what year and kind of GM car the column cane out of? The year is probably more important than the specific vehicle as GM cars in the same family used almost identical harnesses in any given years. As someone said, get a harness diagram for that year. Sounds like your kit is either a fits all or the wrong one for your combination. The wiring kit maker should be able to give you another jumper set to tie into a keyed column if the kit was for a dashboard keyed system.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Dirk35"Can someone tell me what wires go where on this?

Here is a pic.

Sent you a PM.   I will be going to Haywire at noon today if that will help you.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

48 Suburban

Quote from: "Dirk35"Can someone tell me what wires go where on this?

Here is a pic.

You are missing the plug that goes from the column to the three wire plug in the harness. Call Ken and Im sure he will rectify the situation. Jay
Lack of planning on your part,
does not constitute an emergency on my part