GM Steering column Ign Switch

Started by Dirk35, December 01, 2004, 07:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

It came with a plug for the blinkers and brake light wire (why it goes into the column, I have no Idea), but not a plug for the column ignition.

The column is out of a 90's Camaro. Column ignition, column wipers, dimmer, and cruise switch.

GPster

Quote from: "Dirk35"It came with a plug for the blinkers and brake light wire (why it goes into the column, I have no Idea), but not a plug for the column ignition.
The brake lights and rear turn signals use the same filament of the bulb. The light will not blink if it's on all the time because your foot's on the brake. It has to cancel the brakelight current to the filament that the switch has selected should be blinking. So the brake light switch signal goes up the column so that the directional switch can decide if it's going to blink or not. This is the mid-way engineering between the old style directional switch that bolted on the side of the column and ran separate lights with arrows on them and the newer style that has separate bulbs forthe directionals in the tail light reflecter and a third brake light. If this answer sounds juvinile take that to be the fault of this typers state of mind. GPster

Dirk35

So, I do need that white wire plugged into the column.

It makes sense......I think.  :roll:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Dirk35"So, I do need that white wire plugged into the column.

It makes sense......I think.  :roll:

I just talked to Ken at Haywire and he said he would send you the two plugs that go into the ignition switch and they are pre wired.  I do have a set of those on my desk that I can read the information off of them to you also.  I am not going to be in the shop this afternoon as I have family business to take care of but I will back after 5.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

rooster

The picture of your plug is from the 76,77 GM era! I have a picture of your plug in a wiring file I have, but cant get it out of computer! (dont ask)!  Your present colume does not support this plug. If you need a map of the wires and bay locations I can draw it out, you then rewire your old plugs and route to right locations.