Heritage A&F? Michael's Rod SHop?

Started by 47convert, February 18, 2004, 07:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

I'm considering the purchase of a glass 34 Ford 3 window body and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either of these two suppliers. Good or bad.

Rochie

Hey Mike,  have you looked at A&C in Buffalo?  A friend of mine picked up their 40/41 Willys body and is really happy with the quality, fit and finish.  Here's the website. http://www.acrods.com/  You might want to take a look.
Rochie

Dave

If you can go visit them. Ive done a couple glass bodys now and im no expert but my 32 has a cheaper body and it came out great but needed a lot of work. The guy thats hauling the 32 to detroit next week has one of the more expensive bodys from a manufactuer i wont name here and he said its really bad. The painter that did my car and I had a discussion a while back and heres the conclusion. If you can save 2500.00 to 3k buy buying a cheaper body that 2500 or 3k will get you a lot of body work done. If you spend the high bucks on another body and it turns out its not all what its supposed to be then its another 3k over that. From what my friend said the other nite about his 34 roadster he is building im not impressed.  I will throw this in though call harold at windsor fabrications.
He builds a nice body and is very easy to work with. He only does 34's.
Ive bought a few things from him for my 34 that i had and he sent them then i sent him acheck. Its hard to find guys like that now days.
By the way harold is right down the street from purplepickup.
I was out there and visited harold before i met george.. I didnt know he lived down the street..

Grandadeo

Based on one '33 sedan body and three '32 roadster bodies and various pieces parts, a few other  Florida boys and I are very pleased with Gibbon Fiberglass products.  Save a bunch on shipping too by taking a ride up to their shop in SC.
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "47convert"I'm considering the purchase of a glass 34 Ford 3 window body and ...

Sorry, can't answer the specific question, but my advice would be to try and see one for yourself, in the raw.  I've seen some shockers!  While it can always be bogged-up, you wonder about the long term prognosis, under expensive body and paint work.

For mine I'd prefer to start with a quality foundation.
The Deuce Customs body from Australia, available from Geoff Mitford Taylor in the US, is a quality piece at a good price.

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "47convert"I'm considering the purchase of a glass 34 Ford 3 window body and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either of these two suppliers. Good or bad.

Friend of mine had a Heritage A&F 32 Ford roadster body.  He was not impressed.  Spent a lot getting it ready for paint.  Think Michael's Rod Shop is a dealer and not a manufacturer.

I recently had an opportunity to take a really close look at a Redneck body on a Pete & Jakes chassis.  I was very impressed.  Higher end body but it looked like you could have it paint ready with less than a cup of filler.

If price is a consideration check out Show Me Rod and Custom.  They offer a more affordable 33/34 body and the quality is very good.  They can provide a chassis if you want a package deal. I have one of their roadster bodies and I am very pleased. http://www.showmerodandcustom.com/
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

47convert

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"
Quote from: "47convert"I'm considering the purchase of a glass 34 Ford 3 window body and ...

Sorry, can't answer the specific question, but my advice would be to try and see one for yourself, in the raw.  I've seen some shockers!  While it can always be bogged-up, you wonder about the long term prognosis, under expensive body and paint work.

For mine I'd prefer to start with a quality foundation.
The Deuce Customs body from Australia, available from Geoff Mitford Taylor in the US, is a quality piece at a good price.
Do you have a link to Geoff Mitford Taylor?

Bib_Overalls

Do you have a link to Geoff Mitford Taylor?[/quote]

Try http://www.gmtmetal.com
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Beck

My recomendation is to pass on the Heritage body. There is a lot of body work to be done on them. It would be $$ well spent to buy a nicer one to start. I'm building a Rats Glass car now and have helped with several of their bodies and am very happy with them. They don't do the 33/34 though. Another buddy swares by the Downs cars. He is building his 3rd '37 now. Michaels is a rod shop, not a body builder. He has never done any work for me, but I have talked with him at some of the shows. Seems like he would be a good shop to work with. I checked out the NSRA giveaway car they built extensively. The workmanship seemed good to me.  
Beck

tom36

Quote from: "47convert"I'm considering the purchase of a glass 34 Ford 3 window body and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either of these two suppliers. Good or bad.

I don't know about those folks, but a company that I have seen and talked to at shows, is New Age Motorsports out of Connecticut.  Their bodies seem really "right on"  Heres is there web site http://www.newage-motorsports.com/   Tom..

Rochie

Mike did you try Ramrod?? Their website is temp down but the phone number is705-778-7804.  They have a great reputation and are on this side of the border up near Kitchener
Rochie

47convert

Quote from: "Rochie"Mike did you try Ramrod?? Their website is temp down but the phone number is705-778-7804.  They have a great reputation and are on this side of the border up near Kitchener
Rochie
I'll give them a call. You going to Horton's open house tomorrow? He's having a big sale.

Dave

Quote from: "tom36"

I don't know about those folks, but a company that I have seen and talked to at shows, is New Age Motorsports out of Connecticut.  Their bodies seem really "right on"  Heres is there web site http://www.newage-motorsports.com/   Tom..
New age has some one elses molds i forget who but they build a nice piece. At least the 32 they do is nice. I looked at it really good 2 years ago at the nats and i was impressed. They sand all the mold seams and prime em before you get it . If I remember right the price wasnt too bad either at least competive... I wish I could remember who they got the molds from. If i remember right the guy wanted to retire and had the stuff for sale and they bought it . It was a high quality body then and it still looks to be.
Dave

Dave

Ok just checked the web site.. It was flatlanders they bought.. Good body with origional drip rails on the 32 5 window if i remember right.. If im wrong someone correct me.. but i thought the drip rails was their claim   to fame..:lol: what happened to the beer icon ??? humm in thirsty... :b-d:

Found it..................
Dave