O/T - Do they still make these light fixtures?

Started by purplepickup, November 16, 2004, 10:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I want to get one of these for the living room area of my cabin to hang from the ridge log.  A cheap imitation is fine.  I don't want to pay collector prices for an old one and have to rebuild it.  Does somebody know where they might sell these?  I haven't checked the Menards, Lowes, etc yet but I thought I'd ask before I start driving around.

George

George

Ohio Blue Tip

Your going to need a really long cord to plug that in! :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

rooster

I had a garage once that had on of those on the outside mounted a a S shaped mount! Brother in law sells fixtures Ill ask him let you know.

47convert

George, A lot of old factories around here used those. I have 4 that I used in my billiards room. I'll see if I can find another one and let you know. They'll have a bit of paint on them, but it washes off pritty easy with soap and water a lots of elbow grease, No promises, but I'll try. Mike

DanO

Yes, they are still made. I saw an ad for the same fixtures as you show in the picture recently. I don't remember if it was Atwoods or Tractor Supply Co. Both stores are farm and home type retailers.

enjenjo

I think there is one of them on the back of my barn. If it comes up missing I know where to look :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I just toook these off the wall of my work place for a project here at the house..
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

DrJ

We got one at Home Depot, but it was over a decade ago.
If not there any more, Ikea maybe?

awsum34

The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

58 Yeoman

George, we went to Lone Star last night for steak, and that place has a bunch of them!  Just go in there for a steak, grab one, and wear it as a hat and walk out the door.  Of course, though, they were silver. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

sawzall

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"George, we went to Lone Star last night for steak, and that place has a bunch of them!  Just go in there for a steak, grab one, and wear it as a hat and walk out the door.  Of course, though, they were silver. :lol:

send me a email at sawzallshop@aol.com

later jeff

Crosley.In.AZ

We ate at Outback steak place last night..... they have the fixtures at every table
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Thanks for the tips on stealing the ones from the steak houses but I can't afford to eat at those places and if I just went in and took a fixture and left they probably wouldn't like it.  

Sawzall and 47convert, thank you for the offers but I needed someting by this weekend because this is my last trip to the cabin for the year....I think, and I want to get this done while I'm in the work mode.  I need a ladder to put the light in and I don't want to have to take one with me on the pleasure trips.  

I went to all the major hardware superstores and didn't see a cheap fixture.  They had some but they were $40 and I try to keep the things at the cabin as worthless and cheap as possible.  Hopefully it will discourage someone from breaking in if there isn't anything in there worth stealing.

I went back home and cranked up my hillbilly ingenuity.  I looked thru a box of extra electrical stuff and found some conduit connectors and a couple of round covers for floodlight boxes (I think).  I had some conduit so I put all that together to make the hanging part of a light fixture but I needed a reflector/shade.  I wandered around different departments of the large stores to get ideas.  I had pretty much decided that I'd use either a stainless steel kitchen mixing bowl, a painter's clamp on light shade, or a galvanized bucket.  

I liked the galvanized bucket idea because it kind of fit the cabin atmosphere better.  I wanted one of the traditional hot dipped galvanized buckets with the name and detail ribs stamped in them like they've made forever but many of the stores only have thin sheet metal pails that look more like a kid's beach pail.  I figured Tractor Supply would be my best bet so I went there and saw these galvanized pitchers on the clearance rack for $4.  I bought two of them.  One for Sue to stick somewhere in the house as a vase or something, and one I cut the bottom out of and made this hanging lamp.  I'm going up to the cabin this weekend to hang it.  I made it with 5' of conduit so I'll have enough to trim it to whatever height I want it.  I'll take a couple of pictures of it installed.

I know, it's a little off the wall but so am I and I think it will be perfect....and it only cost $4.

George

rooster

I like the bucket! I asked inlaw about the shade you asked about, last I heard was they were trying to locat where they had them. He said that thay also may have had some used that were porclin. No answer as of yet. Sorry for delay.

purplepickup

Quote from: "rooster"I asked inlaw about the shade you asked about, last I heard was they were trying to locat where they had them.
Denny, Lowes had some but they are more of a designer thing now for people that want to give a room a warehouse look and they're anywhere from $40 to $60 each.  I think those lights were originally the cheapest mass produced fixtures available considering they were used everywhere.  Times change :?

Thanks again for your willingness to help me find something but I think I'm all set now.  I think this one will work better as far as reflecting and focusing the light anyway.   I'm just using a 7W DC Compact Fluorescent bulb and the shiney fresh galvanized surface really reflects well.  I'm trying to get the best light but use a minimum amount of current.  I just have one deep cycle battery and haven't got a solar panel yet.  I'm also building another fixture, but different, with LED's for the bedroom area in the loft.   Getting light at the cabin has been a good learning experience.  I'm bringing myself up to speed with some of the latest developments in lighting and DC power technology.
George