1991 S-15 Sonoma

Started by 58 Yeoman, November 15, 2004, 09:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I've got a 91 Sonoma w/ 4.3L V6 that isn't oiling on the left side rockers.  It has 80k miles, few oil changes, never left town, but runs great and smokes bad.  I see some valve stem seals in the future, but would like to get the oiling going first.  Any ideas?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

rooster

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I've got a 91 Sonoma w/ 4.3L V6 that isn't oiling on the left side rockers.  It has 80k miles, few oil changes, never left town, but runs great and smokes bad.  I see some valve stem seals in the future, but would like to get the oiling going first.  Any ideas?
Sluge braking loose got something cloged,My sons was like that actully used a shop vac as we cleaned the heads, took the intake off and decided to look for another eng. You could put a spare old dist in and spin it see if it brakes loose. probly gonna happen agian though.

rooster

We used the umbrerra seals, when we did it  we used tie wire in the push rods , used that to dip in old carb cleaner over night with the springs and keepers, it did make a big difference in oiling, while that was soaking cleaned the heads best we could, stuffwed rags inthe places we didnt want sluge  to fall in the engine, engine still had good oil preasere when we did the swap but had 160K on it.

enjenjo

Two possibilities here, either the left oil gallery is plugged, or the left pushrods are plugged. If none of them are oiling, I would suspect the left gallery. I'm assuming it oils like a V8.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

One other thing, back in the 60's when I worked for a dealer, we used Rizilone to free things up, and remove sludge. Seemed to work good. You might try that first.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.