vin tags and the lack of..

Started by tomslik, November 02, 2004, 07:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

the 41 chevy post reminded me of a firebird i worked on a few years ago.
(it was a indy pace car at least that was what was on the door with a GN -type v-6 in it that hauled some serious asss)
anyway, i was out test driving after fixing a MAJOR oil leak, well, there was a couple of boneheads in a bmw(both on their cell-phones) pokin' along,trying their best to take up 2 lanes so i nail it to get around 'em(have no idea how fast i was going and i ain't tellin') well, a few blocks went by(about a 1/2 mile)
and here come the cops,they thought i was trying to outrun 'em,i guess.
now, this car had NO vin# at all, anywhere,tag in the dash was there but NO numbers,zip,nada.
no plates on the car, i didn't have my billfold with me so i didn't have my drivers license on me, no proof of ownership or even WHO it belonged to.
probably should have went to jail on that deal but they followed me back to the shop so i could show them my license.

still kinda wonder about that car.
anybody have any idea WHY there's be no vin numbers?
maybe it was a REAL pace car and not destined for the street?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

slocrow

Maybe they (the cops) just didn't want to get involved. I got stopped once in a project 67 vette (what else) with a vin tag that looked like it went through the crusher. First thing the cop did was slide under the dash and check it out. When I explained it was a stripout with parts from different years he asked, "like what"? Well the big block 435 was replaced with a 66 small block 350 horse and 4 speed. The hood and side pipes were off a 65. The KH knock offs were from a 64..... He said "stop", checked my license and said to slow it down. I always thought he just didn't want to get involved........Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

phat46

Quote from: "tomslik"the 41 chevy post reminded me of a firebird i worked still kinda wonder about that car.
anybody have any idea WHY there's be no vin numbers?
maybe it was a REAL pace car and not destined for the street?

I have seen several of that type of car auctioned on the Barrett-Jackson auction on the tube. Seems that G.M. made many cars like that, they weren't menat to ever be titled...BTW they don't sell for much money that way.

SKR8PN

Tomslik, Have ya ever had conversation with someone, that just didn't "get it"?? :lol:
The name of my business is,Ohio Auto Inspector,so I get my fair share of phone calls concerning,salvage title inspections,vin #'s,titles,yadda,yadda,yadda. Had a guy call me a few months back,concerning the vin plate(actually LACK of one) on his 1998 Chebby pickup,so he makes an appointment to have me check it out. Wasn't nuthin' TO check out! No VIN plate,what so ever,not even any tags on ANY of the body parts! When I explained to the gentleman,that the title he held in his hand,was basically toilet paper,he starts going off on ME,like it's MY fault that truck lost it's VIN tag!!
After 30 minutes of attempting to explain to this jackal,that without a VIN plate,he could NOT prove ownership of that truck,I finally just walked back into my shop and shut the door. He left,STILL believing he held a valid title to that truck.................
I often wonder what ever became of him.... or what JAIL he is in :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

enjenjo

I bought a 62 Ford truck one time, a real rust bucket, from the gas company. The truck was 15 years old, but only had 16,000 miles on it, it was used for setting propane tanks, so wan't used every day. Plan was to replace the body with one from an Arkansas truck I had bought at salvage. When I looked for the VIN tag it was missing, the left door had been replaced. I searched everywhere, no VIN tag. So now I have to do a state inspection to get it registered. A hassle, but what can you do.

After I had the rusty body off, I cut it into pieces small enough to load by myself, about 10 pieces, when I rolled over part of the cowl to throw it in the truck, the VIN tag fell out. I still have no idea where it was, the glove box was missing when I got it.

I had a chevy truck that had the same VIN tag on three different cabs.

By the way, if you change bodies in ohio, and fasten the VIN tag on with the original "scalloped" rivets, that's fraud, and you'll be prosecuted if caught. Fasten it on with screws, or standard rivets, and you are home free. As long as none of the parts have a "history". That is from the OSHP trooper that does inspections.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.