48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

O&S says "lets put this to bed". :) I know, real cheesy. LOL. I was fortunate to use a friends brake this morning to bend the front and rear of the bed. I thanked them but that didn't convey how much I appreciated the use of the brake. The bed is bolted together. The bed rails still need end caps and there is some trimming to do. It needs to go back on the truck to do the rear roll pan and tail light mounts. I'm thinking about the bed cover hinge. O&S at his best. :) One pic is of the 34 Ford hood hinge that will be the centerpiece for the hood.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S had a road trip this morning to pick up the seat at the salvage yard. I ran a few more errands and came home to do a tiny bit of work. I decided to use plywood for the bed floor leading up to the fuel and battery area. I cleaned the seat up and laid it on top of the stock seat riser. I will need to make mounts for it to sit correctly. More thinking. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

That's coming together nicely.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Hot diggity, box ahoy  :)
Matt

kb426

O&S had a short day. Maybe that was good, less time to do poorly. :) I'm on the 2nd attempt to mount the seat. I started off with using the plasma cutter to cut down the existing seat mount. After 2 try's, there's not much left. I had pieces of 2 x 4 tubing so I bolted those onto the seat frame. Not good in any direction. Then I took 1/4" x 2" flat strap and bent a hoop for the front. I put the seat back in and the measurements are close to being what I want. One of the items that I look at is the seat being tall enough that my armpit is at least 1" higher that the window sill. The distance from the seat back to the firewall is important. Tiny bit of progress. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Looks like a nice seat. :)
Matt

kb426

O&S got a little accomplished. The seat is mounted. I will make reinforcement plates for under the floor. I have one side of the bed rails capped.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

they fold AND flip forward .  8)  8)  8)  8)

kb426

O&S was lame today. I welded up the 2 remaining end caps on the bed and did spot welds on the 3/4" tubing hiding in the top of the front and back panels. I disassembled the bed and got ready for more sheet metal work. I cleaned up the shop and gave up. Brain power was gone. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Two bed times in one day is an awesome feat. Especially if one was in the garage. :) (when the garage is not an oven)

Good to see you getting some clean sheetmetal fab in. Beats dealing with crusty shag any day. :arrow:
Matt

kb426

Matt, clean metal is a plus. :)
O&S changed gears today. I didn't have the brain power to work on the hood. :) I made a drawing of the bracket to hold the fuse panel, fan controller and the stereo amp. I decided the trans tunnel would be more fun. The pics show using a r8 spindle hole saw adapter I made when I was building race cars. The cover held in place with clecos and then partially welded. That took a full day! O&S at it's best. LOL.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S has had enough fun for the day. The trans tunnel is in and bolted down. I used nutserts on it. I made a simple panel to hold the electrics that will be under the seat. I decided to put the stereo and the ac controller in the dash so I cut a panel for that. I'm going to cut the holes before putting it in the dash.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Is the AC panel going to be removable? On the lower hood side line could you make it curved, and incorporate the fender opening as part of the curve? I think that would give it more of a finished look.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, I haven't decided yet. A removable panel was the last thought I had as I walked into the house. :) I'll cut more cardboard and see if I can make curved sides without other complications.:)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S made it into the shop with a clear mind this am. In just a little bit, I was doing yard work. LOL. After lunch, I figured out that the dash panel I made for the speaker grille location wasn't large enough for both the stereo and the ac controller. Back to home plate. After building many trucks, I know that you can't always decipher the stereo display in the daylight. Having any control that is a long reach is not good. If you take your eyes off of the road, you may not be on it. :) I mocked up a piece of cardboard for an under dash panel. Mixed emotions. I cut some cardboard up for a quick attempt at a radius behind the front wheel. More mixed emotions. :) Thinking takes up a lot of time. :)
TEAM SMART