Layout for adjustment holes

Started by jaybee, December 19, 2021, 05:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I'm looking at how far holes have to be separated for things which adjust by moving a bolt from one hole to another. Think things like moving a panhard bar up and down or getting the radius rods on a torque arm suspension level at right height. I'm seeing minimum distance between adjustment holes being something like 1/16" or 3 times the material thickness. I worry about 1/16" not being enough and 3 times sounds like a lot in 1/8" or 1/4" material seems like it could be excessive. Does any have any guidance on that?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Not this guy. But wait... isn't there a guideline concerning bolts or lug studs... thread engagement area length to be 1.5x bolt diameter. Me liking the safe side but depending on application, I think I would want an amount of space that would allow a nut on a bolt in each hole with room for a socket wall in between. Not so you could use both holes at once, but that seems like a safe spacing. Material in question likely affects answer. Now whether or not I read the question proper remains to be seen.
Matt

enjenjo

If you are only going to use one hole at a time, I would say 3/16" should be about the minimum, but that also depends on the load it sees.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

How about a minimum of 1/2 the fastener diameter. There are so many variables in your question that it's difficult to give a set answer.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I do it like KB. 1/2" bolt holes get 1/4" between them . Or more . If you are really nervous you could go 1/2" between 1/2" holes  for a 1" c to c distance . I have seen 4 link brackets with much less material between holes and that is some serious duty there.

jaybee

Quote from: chimp koose on December 19, 2021, 08:51:30 PM
I do it like KB. 1/2" bolt holes get 1/4" between them . Or more . If you are really nervous you could go 1/2" between 1/2" holes  for a 1" c to c distance . I have seen 4 link brackets with much less material between holes and that is some serious duty there.

I've seen brackets with overlapping holes. That makes me really dubious. If something gets a bit loose you could wear out the remaining material and shift into the next notch in nothing flat.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)