Battery cuttoff switch.

Started by Kerry, October 08, 2004, 01:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry

Now that I've gotten my coupe into the 13's I've gotten the bug to race more than the occasional nostalgia event where the rules aren't that tight.  

NHRA says I need a battery cuttoff.  Physically putting one in is no big deal but doing it so it could be hidden when not in use might be challenging.  I don't really want to cruise around with a big redd button or switch on the back of my car.

What have you done for a cutoff switch?

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Kerry"
NHRA says I need a battery cuttoff.  Physically putting one in is no big deal but doing it so it could be hidden when not in use might be challenging.  I don't really want to cruise around with a big redd button or switch on the back of my car.

------------------------
What is the wording in the rulebook?

I'm thinking you can mount the switch where it is concealed, but use a removable (extended) handle to make the cut-off accesible when racing.  ...Of course, the handle would need a positive method of locking to the switch.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Kerry

A push/pull handle to a swtich mounted in the trunk was one of my first thoughts.  From what I've read it's ok with the NHRA.  The question with this arrangement is when the handle is removed, what would fill the hole?  Simple answer would be something like a painted carriage bolt. Not sure how that would look.

enjenjo

Do you have a licence plate on the back of the body? hide it behind that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

MrMopar64

Quote from: "Kerry"Now that I've gotten my coupe into the 13's I've gotten the bug to race more than the occasional nostalgia event where the rules aren't that tight.  

What have you done for a cutoff switch?

Could you put it under a door (like a gas door maybe smaller) that could be removed when racing.....

my 2 cents

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Kerry

The plate's behind the gas tank not the body, and there's no door for the gas filler.  Good ideas anyways.  

Here's an old pic of the backside.  I'm thinking I'll do the push /pull setup and run the bar out at the bottom of the body to the right of the right tailight.  I am open to any other ideas.  Still not wild about just pluging the hole with a cariage bolt.

Kerry

Not sure why the attachment didn't take but I'll try again when I get done here at work.