Need help with a couple things

Started by 48builder, October 08, 2004, 12:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I know there are guys out there who will know these things.

I'm using the '95 Camaro disc brake rear in my '48, along with the disc brake front from the '87 Grand Prix clip. I am using the brake pedal, booster, and master Cylinder from the Z28 as well. My plan is to find a proportioning valve from a pre-abs Camaro of Firebird with 4-wheel discs. Is that the way to go or should I handle it differently.

I'm also using the stock Z28 exhaust manifolds, crossover pipe and catalytic convertor. There is a bracket at the tail end of the converter that used to bolt to something in the Camaro. Do I have to use a rubber mount of some type there, or can I make a bracket to mount it securely to the body or frame? I can't remember how it was connected in the donor car and I'm not sure how much flex there would be at the tail of the convertor.

I'm using the Z's fuel sender and pump. The fuel lines have a plastic connector at the end of the flexible plastic section. Can I use plain old 3/8" rubber fuel line to replace that, or do I need something special because it is injected? I know injected cars run at much higher pressure.

I really want to get this thing running soon, and any help is greatly appreciated.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

You would be on the right track with a Camaro combo valve, it would get you close any way, and the 87 GP brakes are the same as third gen F body.

Typically, the convertor mounts to the trans, at the trans mount. Some use a one piece bracket, some two. The convertor then moves with the engine.

You need high pressure rubber hose for those lines, available at most parts stores.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Thanks a bunch.

I figure I will make something to attach the converter to the tranny. I have to buy the bracket that holds the torque arm to the tranny. The converter may attache there.

Any idea where I can start looking for A/N type fittings and stainless hose to use at the engine end of the lines?
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

Street and Performance come to mind, but there are others too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

moondisc

Quote from: "48builder"I know there are guys out there who will know these things.

I'm using the '95 Camaro disc brake rear in my '48, along with the disc brake front from the '87 Grand Prix clip. I am using the brake pedal, booster, and master Cylinder from the Z28 as well. My plan is to find a proportioning valve from a pre-abs Camaro of Firebird with 4-wheel discs. Is that the way to go or should I handle it differently.

I'm also using the stock Z28 exhaust manifolds, crossover pipe and catalytic convertor. There is a bracket at the tail end of the converter that used to bolt to something in the Camaro. Do I have to use a rubber mount of some type there, or can I make a bracket to mount it securely to the body or frame? I can't remember how it was connected in the donor car and I'm not sure how much flex there would be at the tail of the convertor.

I'm using the Z's fuel sender and pump. The fuel lines have a plastic connector at the end of the flexible plastic section. Can I use plain old 3/8" rubber fuel line to replace that, or do I need something special because it is injected? I know injected cars run at much higher pressure.

I really want to get this thing running soon, and any help is greatly appreciated.

A catalytic convertor on a hotrod?
Are you building a hotrod or a treehuggermobile?  :lol: