Coolest mirrors for 50s trucks

Started by idrivejunk, September 04, 2021, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the best outside rearview mirror style for 1950s truck builds with modern paint and wheels?

Round, on a stick
0 (0%)
Aerodynamic
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

idrivejunk

Truck in question is a 51 F1 but same principle applies to Chevy. I would like to know which style works and / or looks best.
Matt

enjenjo

49 Mercury low on the fender. 60 Catalina frenched into the rolled pan
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I have round on a stick on the white 51. Not doing that again. The vision isn't good enough for a blind old guy.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: enjenjo on September 04, 2021, 01:14:03 PM60 Catalina frenched into the rolled pan

Do what now? Come again? Beggin yer pardon... ??? Howzat work?

I looked at 59 Cat ones the other day and had thoughts. The 49 Merc ones do sit farther out than muscle era cars for example. A veritable plethora of aftermarket variations are available in round head stick mounted style.

Have you guys ever seen even one aerodynamic (more modern) mirror swap that looked good? For example I would include smog era pod-on-pedestal style, like 70-81 GM "sport mirrors", in this category. As I would Fox body style which mounts within the window frame.
Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: idrivejunk on September 04, 2021, 02:13:49 PM
Quote from: enjenjo on September 04, 2021, 01:14:03 PM60 Catalina frenched into the rolled pan

Do what now? Come again? Beggin yer pardon... ??? Howzat work?

I looked at 59 Cat ones the other day and had thoughts. The 49 Merc ones do sit farther out than muscle era cars for example. A veritable plethora of aftermarket variations are available in round head stick mounted style.

Have you guys ever seen even one aerodynamic (more modern) mirror swap that looked good? For example I would include smog era pod-on-pedestal style, like 70-81 GM "sport mirrors", in this category. As I would Fox body style which mounts within the window frame.

Actually I misread the title as tail lights instead of mirrors ::)

idrivejunk

Thought I might have written tail lights. Thats just as likely.

You have bigger fish to fry, no worries. Although I like a 49 Merc or 60 Cat mirror in the round on stick category. Plan is to use stock tails but in the pan on my project.
Matt

phat46

I used one from a 80's (?) G.M. But mounted it vertically, that is, flipped 90* from stock. It actually kind of follows the windshield post of my '46 Chevy. I used a piece of 3/4 X 1 1/2 sq. tube to mount it.

idrivejunk

Quote from: phat46 on September 04, 2021, 08:51:10 PM
I used one from a 80's (?) G.M. But mounted it vertically, that is, flipped 90* from stock. It actually kind of follows the windshield post of my '46 Chevy. I used a piece of 3/4 X 1 1/2 sq. tube to mount it.

Those aren't bad looking mirrors. I bet you can see good with them. Got a pic handy?
Matt

idrivejunk

I gotta spill my wacko idea, hear me out...

Take for example an 88-up Chevy truck mirror. Mounts within the window frame on a triangle flat just ahead of the door glass like all modern junk. Has a shape I'd not object to but might be big on a swoopy look truck. Unless you want a nice big functional mirror you can use.

Mount it on a flat plate which covers a portion of the forward half of the wing window. I figure if you can keep some of the vent window's range of travel and the resulting mirror head position were still valid, it might be a thing. How "out there" is that?

Do you guys know if modern mirror swaps are normally done with a shortened one piece conversion glass, or ???

My vote is for one peep mirror, up high on the window frame. Does that "work" or are those useless but sharp?
Matt

jaybee

IMO it depends entirely on the style of the build but it takes a very slick and heavily modified build to make an aero-style mirror look good on a 50s truck.

"Take for example an 88-up Chevy truck mirror."

OK, that could work.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Quote from: jaybee on September 04, 2021, 09:53:05 PM
IMO it depends entirely on the style of the build but it takes a very slick and heavily modified build to make an aero-style mirror look good on a 50s truck.

"Take for example an 88-up Chevy truck mirror."

OK, that could work.

If it could be on a car-like mount, like using an old Mustang or Camaro unit, I'd say why not do one of those but the pedestals' contours conflict because the truck door is so vertical just below the window. I think a 49 Merc mirror mounted in musclecar position would look cool but also I think with vent window that doesn't work out. So an 88-up style head anyway yeah doesn't sound too bad with the shape of the truck. I'm curious if anyone has seen a modern mirror base covering some vent window. It might be a laugh-and-point thing or might work out slick. I'd have to try it.
Matt

phat46

Here's a  pic of what I was talking about.

enjenjo

Look at swan neck mirrors. You might be able to mount them on a plate at the front of the vent window.

https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-90336-Mirrors-Diameter-Length/dp/B082P7ZR6T/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=swan+neck+mirrors&qid=1630810622&sr=8-8

That is one style, but there are others.

A man of your talent could make a pair of mirror arms and mount

Here is another one that might work  https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-90336-Mirrors-Diameter-Length/dp/B082P7ZR6T/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=swan+neck+mirrors&qid=1630810622&sr=8-8

idrivejunk

Quote from: phat46 on September 04, 2021, 10:19:17 PM
Here's a  pic of what I was talking about.

Ah, car mirror. I was visualizing fullsize truck 81-7.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: enjenjo on September 04, 2021, 11:06:38 PM
Look at swan neck mirrors. You might be able to mount them on a plate at the front of the vent window.

https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-90336-Mirrors-Diameter-Length/dp/B082P7ZR6T/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=swan+neck+mirrors&qid=1630810622&sr=8-8

That is one style, but there are others.

A man of your talent could make a pair of mirror arms and mount

Here is another one that might work  https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-90336-Mirrors-Diameter-Length/dp/B082P7ZR6T/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=swan+neck+mirrors&qid=1630810622&sr=8-8

OK, swan neck. Often times, a man just needs a better search term. :)

I have stayed totally out of the mirror plans but picking something without buying first is the boss concern. The owner can only show things he sees on other examples. I 'd like to birth a perfect idea to reduce their stress but the harder I try, the farther from making selections we get. So I am grabbing for ideas so maybe I can make a new suggestion. Again, I like a classic peep mirror up on the window frame. But I think the body mods would justify a tasteful aero mirror of some sort if the mounting ain't too ducky looking. Above all, I'd like to offer something practical.

IF the subject comes around to me, I just wanted some ammo. I have a couple GM sport mirrors (think cowl induction Chevelle style) and think that head shape on a different, fabbed stalk might be good. Its just one of those things a guy needs to have in his hand and walk up to the truck with just to cull ideas.

No outside rearview is an option thats been mentioned but don't think anyone wants that.
Matt