EPA

Started by enjenjo, March 15, 2021, 07:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

The EPA is cracking down on emission work arounds. Last fall the fined Diesel Brothers in Utah $1.2 million dollars for illegal modifications to trucks. And recently they  went after KT Performance in Florida, fined them $800,000 but settled for 58,000 and put them out of business. There are others  https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/clean-air-act-vehicle-and-engine-enforcement-case-resolutions. This is not new, but the enforcement has been stepped up in the last few years. Some of these rules apply to ORV  and some street and strip race cars.

They are also watching social media and going after smoke rollers and other obvious violators The vehicles are called in for inspection, and if they can't be repaired they are confiscated and destroyed. So pay attention to your state and federal rules.  In some states the emission rules follow the engine and not the year of the car..

This is just a heads up on my part. Keep your nose clean.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Interesting coincidence you'd mention that now. Just today I saw a YouTube video from someone who was complaining about the EPA. If the coal rollers and this guy are typical of what they're cracking down on it won't be too unreasonable, but I guess we'll see. YouTube Guy had his S550 Mustang at his tuner when they walked in, so he was nabbed with the shop. Given the model it's a maximum 6 year old, street driven car with header back, straight pipe, cat-delete exhaust. He admitted it won't even pass the visual inspection in California and was depending on being able to find a shop which would do just a sniffer test on a well-warmed car without looking any further. Unsaid, a thoroughly modified car like this one probably has multiple tunes it can run for different purposes...different fuel octane, E85, etc.

Seems like a pretty big risk to take when he could pass the visual just by spending less than $180 on 3", high flow, aftermarket cats. Now he's whining on the internet about how he can get it to pass the sniffer test when he needs to and he doesn't drive it that much anyway.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Rochie

We've had similar rules and restrictions up here for at least 30 years. The vehicle must pass a computer analysis (OBD1, OBD2)and sniffer test to be licenced. If you get pulled over for an on the spot inspection and the Ministry of environment takes a look under the vehicle and no cats...It gets towed and it has to be repaired before they give you your plates back

Crosley.In.AZ

I watched a News video on You Tube on the Diesel Brothers and the lawsuit... Of course their side of the story is a bit different
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

High flow cats set a DTC so they can probably steal your car just because parts are no longer made which would keep that car compliant. What a mess. Not many people drive cars these days though, its all trucks.

Them who brag on illegal stuff on social media often promptly get what they earned.

Traffic people have learned about coal rollers though they are easy to spot in advance and outrun.

I think the EPA is barking up the wrong tree, its the single individual using several tons of unloaded vehicle that waste and pollute unduly IMO. Just count how many tailgating Rams you see in one day with tow mirrors out and no load.

I had to get my 71 Ventura sniff tested when bought in 1995. Luckily the state program got the axe before the registration deadline came. That was Texas. Shorthy after that Arkansas dropped state inspections altogether. But rules for shops are another matter entirely.

Frank, just tell the guys all this news has you stressed out then take a vacation. :) Just kidding. This must be a big nail biter issue for certain types of shops and owners. Good heads up. Picking my nose as we speak. :)

I watched a thing about light bulbs and planned obsolesence last night. It was enlightening. These crackdowns support that, and serve the same purpose as new trim and colors every year did in the 50s. Throwing away perfectly good things has never made sense but thats how we are supposed to live, now more than ever.
Matt

slocrow

I had to look it up.............

Rolling coal is a form of conspicuous air pollution, for entertainment or for protest. Some drivers intentionally trigger coal rolling in the presence of hybrid vehicles (when it is nicknamed "Prius repellent") to cause their drivers to lose sight of the road and inhale harmful air pollution. Coal rolling may also be directed at foreign vehicles, bicyclists, protesters, and pedestrians. Practitioners cite "American freedom" and a stand against "rampant environmentalism" as reasons for coal rolling.

A concern is road traffic safety violations, as the black smoke can impair visibility, increasing the risks of motor vehicle crashes and is a violation of clean air laws.  

Amazing, all I ever needed to do was lay down some rubber now you're a fogger!
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

58 Yeoman

Coal rolling can also be just because the driver is a *. I've seen them do it when there are no Prius' around, just because they like to see the smoke rolling out.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

jaybee

Most of all, rolling coal shows you like to set your money on fire. Every last soot particle in that cloud is cash which doesn't get converted into work.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)