Power steering kit for F100

Started by 416Ford, February 17, 2021, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Left hand side I tapped out with one or two taps. Right side I pushed out with my finger.  Not sure how tight I need to be on the axle.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

Are you referring to the tie rod ends or the king pins? There is a torque spec for tie rod ends. I don't get too carried away with mine is there is any chance of having to remove them again. It does take effort to remove them, though.
TEAM SMART

416Ford

I am up on tie rods and ball joint fitment thanks :)
I was referring to the King pin tightness.
I was able to rock the right wheel like bad wheel bearings but the bearing are good and I could see the spindle moving up and down.
spindles moved from left to right with no binding while in the air.  May need to barrow a friends gauge to check my axle boar size.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

Most of my king pins I have pushed in with my fingers. The old rusty ones were driven out. If the spindle is able to move vertically, is it missing a shim or is the lower thrust bearing ruined?
TEAM SMART

416Ford

Still fighting the loosing battle.
I want to try a different pulley configuration now. Anyone have a FE two groove/sheave pulley for the water pump? Current pulley is about 2" from back to face and 7-1/4" dia +/-
Tomorrow I will post the video of the belt chatter I am getting when we turn the wheel.

416Ford

kb426

Question: is there any chance the belt is bottoming out in the bottom of the pulley?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Question: is there any chance the belt is bottoming out in the bottom of the pulley?

I tend to agree. You might try the next wider belt.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

416Ford

Possible..... that is the only belt I could find that size. One of the reasons I am looking for a pulley.

RipVW

My observation leads me to believe the mount for your P/S is not solid! I see the belt trying to jump out of the pully and each time the pump itself  * about.   How tight is the belt? and how solid is the mount.  Also how far out of alignment are the two pulleys from each other.   Another thing is how does the belt react when the P/S pump is loaded up as in turning the wheels back and forth. Oh one more thing is there any runout of the pulleys as in out of round?  Just a few things to look at if not checked yet.

I'm hoping some of these suggestions may be useful in your search... 8)

kb426

I watched a couple more times. It looks like to my blind eyes to be slipping on the crank pulley.
TEAM SMART

416Ford

All good suggestions Rip.
All those bases have been covered already. The Pulley is new, there are three mounting points on the pump bracket trying to get rid of the problem, the pulley are * near dead on alignment and the belt is tight. I have also purchase a smaller pulley rying to get the speed up on the pump.
Other things we have tried:
New pump X2
New box X2
New tie rods
New king pins
New pitman arm link
New belts, move the pump to get a different length belt option.
I am sure there's more but the money just keep pouring into the power steering on this truck. :(

kb426

How about you install a pressure gauge on the high side and see what's going out. Unless something is causing a complete blockage when you turn the wheel, mismatched components would be my next guess. Is it possible to have the lines switched on the box? You did say that when it's up in the air, this doesn't happen? If that's the case, the lines should be correct. Does the pump make the normal noise you hear when the internal bypass activates when the wheels are turned to lock on one side?
TEAM SMART

kb426

I found this: I think it is the same box you have. It shows the orientation of the hoses just in case there was a question as to how they go. Not trying to 2nd guess, just trying to be helpful. :)
TEAM SMART

416Ford

The pump does make the noise when  I hit the stops. I have the high pressure hose hooked up to the in arrow side. The box does have the same size fitting for both hoses so I did check that a couple of times.