wiring question

Started by timkins, May 29, 2020, 11:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

Not being an electrical wizard or wiring guru I removed a remote entry that had  a key fob  after it stopped working. I traced the wires to each door and then removed the main entry module. I then hooked 2 micro switches and installed then in a space on either side of my firewall and ran wire from the hot side of my battery. This is what I wound up with. What problems (if any) do you see. They work well but I am concerned about the hot wires associated with the micro switches.

kb426

Install a fuse in the circuit before the micro switches.
TEAM SMART

moose

^^^^ Yep what he said!^^^^

WZ JUNK

If you wanted to really go crazy, you could add a relay to each side, and have the micro switch engage the relay.  Then the relay would engage the door popper. This would be easier on the micro switch.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Fat Cat

I agree with WZ_Junk. That was my though when I read your post.

timkins

Quote from: "Fat Cat"I agree with WZ_Junk. That was my though when I read your post.
As I indicated in my message I am no wiring guru. I was lucky to get it wired the way I indicate and this only after several fuses and almost burning the car to the ground because I hooked it up wrong. I have no idea how to wire a relay into the switch's. If I were able to wire a relay in would I also need a fuse inline like kb426 suggested?

58 Yeoman

Fuse good. Fire bad.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

I'll write up a diagram in the next day for you with relays. :)
TEAM SMART

timkins

Quote from: "kb426"I'll write up a diagram in the next day for you with relays. :)
thank you.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"I'll write up a diagram in the next day for you with relays. :)

Saturday morning:  I see a video up on You Tube.  A talkie !

Explaining wires on relays
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I made a simple video to show the layout of the relays. After watching it, I need to add that you will split the white control wire with your switch for each door.

If you use your ebay search for this item, you will find the relays that I have shown. EBay item number:352117535131
If you need more info, let me know.
TEAM SMART

Fat Cat

Here is my attempt at how I would wire it.

You can also jump the wire from the 30 terminal to the 85 terminal to simplify the wire.

You will also find a printable version of it in PDF form below.

PeterR

Quote from: "Fat Cat"Here is my attempt at how I would wire it.

Only two comments.
1. If the relay coil supply is connected to the downstream side of the fuse rather than directly to the battery, (or jumpered at the relay),  then all the wiring is protected.

2. If the vehicle has a computer controlled engine, or BMC, it would be prudent to use a relay with an internal diode across the coil to suppress the high voltage spikes generated on release of the relay.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "PeterR"

2. If the vehicle has a computer controlled engine, or BMC, it would be prudent to use a relay with an internal diode across the coil to suppress the high voltage spikes generated on release of the relay.
''

How do you identify a relay like the one you suggest and where would I purchase one?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

timkins

Thanks to all who have responded. I watched the youtube video  and saw the diagram drawn and feel that I can successfully accomplish the wiring and I feel better now knowing that the circuits will be protected. Now I need to purchase the necessary relays to get the job done. Again a big "thank you".