54 Chevy 3100

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2020, 11:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Cool, looking forward to an update.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Here you go. The ragged hole where the radio face is installed is not my fault. I was working with what existed. I have a trim made to fit there, but it's not done.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

All neat solutions. :) I like what you did on the seatbelt mounts.
Matt

enjenjo

Wiring is finished. I still have to check out the turn signals but can't do that until all the lights are installed. I did hang the front clip on it today.  Did I tell you how much I hate installing fender beading? I do, I do, I do!

416Ford

I am not a fan either. two people helps but still a pain.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

Big day today, I got the seat frame and seat installed, finished bolting down the front clip, adjusted the hood, wired the tail lights, and have all the parts in the same room for the first time in over a year. My to do list is down to half a page.

kb426

TEAM SMART

416Ford

Quote from: "enjenjo"My to do list is down to half a page.
8-1/2 x 11 or 11 x 17?      You get that finished you'll have room for one of your own in the garage. :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

416Ford

And thanks for the help on the gauge Frank. I now have 60 lb of pressure.

enjenjo

Quote from: "416Ford"
Quote from: "enjenjo"My to do list is down to half a page.
8-1/2 x 11 or 11 x 17?      You get that finished you'll have room for one of your own in the garage. :)

I certainly hope so. I'm glad that worked out for you.

kb426

^^^
One more post of friends helping friends. It's a shame that many don't get to exp. that. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I got the bed installed in the pickup today. I still have to bolt it down. The hard part was figuring where the fuel filler came through the floor. That took two hours of measuring, and then doing it again twice to make sure I was right the first time.

enjenjo

It took me from the last post to this one to get the bed bolted down. I has "hidden" fasteners, and out of eight I could get seven to line up in several ways, but there was always one the wouldn't line up with the other seven in. Today I finally found the right combination :D

Josh and I unloaded the 65 Buick out of the trailer it has been in for the last seven years. It's in surprisingly good shape, no mouse smell, and no corrosion even on the polished aluminum parts.

enjenjo

I have all the body parts, running boards ect. back in place and all the fluids topped up. Fuel fill and vent are installed. I ran into a snag on the rear tires, they are too close to the bed sides so I have to install spacers. I have them, but no lug nuts to hold the spacers, they won't be in until tuesday. I still have some parts out to the powder coated I am waiting on. I am getting down to the fine hairs

enjenjo

I have a long story here, see if you can follow it.

When I got this truck in the shop it had wheel spacers in the rear. I wasn't sure if it would need them as both the wheels and tires were changed. After the bed was back on there wasn't enough clearance between the bed and the tire, so the spacers had to go back on. So when I tried to install the spacers the nuts kept stripping. Come to find out the nuts were 12mm by 1.5, and the studs were 7/16" by 20. Not these spacers require Coned nuts since they will fit both 7/16" by 20 studs, and 1/2" by 20 studs. I could not find after much searching 7/1/6" by 20 nuts that were coned, and short enough to fit between the wheel and the spacer. So I got the shortest nuts that I could find, and cut the length down in the lathe to the end of the threads so they would clear the wheel. Success!

Now to install the wheels. None of the nuts want to start. Further checking shows that the nuts are buggered up  7/16" by 20 and the studs are buggered up 12mm by 1.5. So order new Imperial studs, and matching nuts. Today all the parts are in and the wheels are finally on the rear of the truck.

So on a hunch I check the front hubs. Imperial studs, and metric nuts. They were never torqued so I am hoping the threads are not buggered up beyond repair.