muffler choice

Started by trackster, January 31, 2020, 10:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

I know, what sounds good to one guy is too loud or too quiet for someone else.   1939 Chevy with stock 1995 LT1  with block hugger headers, pipes all the way to rear bumper.  Looking for a low rumble at idle and "hear the radio, able to converse" quiet at cruise.  Any and all suggestions, comments and chuckles are appreciated.  By the way, it's the wife's car. If we want loud we will take my Abone pickup.  Thanks.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

58 Yeoman

I've got the red Cherry Bombs on my 58 Chevy for about 30 years. They have a nice rumble at idle, and I can make them crackle if I want to, but they seem to be quiet to me when cruising down the highway. Tailpipes all the way to the back.

I also have them on the 63 Galaxie, but they're way in the back. Also has a nice rumble on idle and quiet on the highway. I can't make them crackle.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

I gave up on what you asked for. I could never get rid of the loud running down the highway. I used stock 2010 Mustang gt mufflers on the 32 and some Walker turbo looking units on the 51. The walkers sound good at full throttle but are missing in the idle completely. The 32 sounded decent but there wasn't a rumble at idle. I had to put a 45 degree bend in the tailpipes to kill the drone on it. They are designed like flowmasters.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I like the series 40 Flowmasters. Nice sound at idle, quiet going down the road.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

I bought a '17 Ram in Raleigh NC. last summer and drove it back to Michigan. The guy I bought it from had it straight piped, it was loud and didn't get much better at highway speeds. When I got it home I took it to a local muffler guy and wanted the same muffler he had put on my brothers Ram. I was going to drive my truck back to W.Virginia, half way to Raleigh to drop my grandsons off, who had ridden home from Raleigh with me, to their parents. The muffler guy couldn't get the muffler I wanted in time for me to leave when I needed so he put the "next best choice" he had on it. There is barely any difference from the straight pipe, but slightly quieter at highway speeds, but still too loud for this old guy. This spring it will get another change of mufflers. I do like driving it around town, but I can't keep my foot out of the throttle, makes me grin! 😃

idrivejunk

My favorite has always been just whatever the longest available glasspacks (straight thru, bullet ends) are that will fit, no brand preference. With full tailpipes and never exiting rearward. I like the echo off curbs.
Matt

chimp koose

I had a 65 fastback mustang that i sold 35 years ago . Thrush header mufflers , side exit in front of the back wheels . My ears are still ringing!

crdnblu

As it's your Wife's car, consider an "H" pipe as well.......

rumrumm

X2 on the 40 series Flowmasters.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

trackster

Thanks for all of the input.  I think I am going with the Walker Quiet-Flow 3 with an H or X pipe setup.  At least to start with,  may have to change mufflers later.   Not the first time something has needed changed!   Won't know for awhile since there is a lot to do before we can drive it.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

papastoyss

I like Dynomax Super Turbos, they are a little too quiet for some but don't wear you out going down the road.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!