1964 F100 rotor swap

Started by 416Ford, December 09, 2019, 12:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

I want to put 5 x 4.5 wheels on Vickie's truck and It currently has 5 x 5 bolt pattern. Is there a front rotor swap? A previous owner swapped out rear ends in the past. The rear end seams to wide for the truck so we may swap out for a little narrower one with a 8" or 9"
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

As far as I can tell, everyone uses a 73-92 half ton front rotor. They are all drilled for 5 x 5.5. Short of redrilling for a different pattern, I think that's it. It takes a new master cylinder if you want do it all at the same time. People use a Ford of those same years but have mentioned the pedal pushrod is around an inch too long. Those rotors use sets 12 and 13 for bearings.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Give me some more information and I might be able to set you up. What year is the truck? Straight axle or twin I beam? It 5x5 correct, or is it 5.5x5?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

416Ford

It is a 64 Frank with a Scarebird disc brake set up on it. Not sure what rotors they used but it has the I beam suspension.
I will get the gauge on the studs tonight to verify 5" or 5-1/2".

KB it already has power disc brakes.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

Okay, I have something  for you. It will take some minor modification. The rotor is from a 1971 Ford LTD. The wheel bearings to use are set 12 and set 13. I didn't look up a seal, but that's not a problem.

The Scarebird rotor is actually for a 95 to 99 Ram 1500. The OD is 11.610". The LTD rotor is  11.730" You may, or may not have to turn the OD of the rotor for caliper clearance. The LTD rotor is .020" deeper front to back than the Ram Rotor. So you might have to space the inner bearing out from the shoulder, but most likely not. Will that work?

kb426

^^^^
That sounds real simple. I should remember this for the future.
TEAM SMART

Beck

Quote from: "416Ford"The rear end seams to wide for the truck so we may swap out for a little narrower one with a 8" or 9"
I know everyone loves the 9", but I'm a fan of the 8.8. My local salvage yards are full of Explorers. They have 31 spline axles, same as the 9". Posi units are common in them. The typical gear ratios are 3.73 and 4.11. They aren't really wide. It is common to cut the long axle side down to the same length as the short side. They come with factory disc brakes with internal drum parking brakes. They have your 5 on 4.5 spacing.

enjenjo

A good 9" for a 64 F100 is a  late 70s Torino of Tbird. 60" or thereabouts. Explorer 8.8 is about 58"

416Ford

Quote from: "enjenjo"Okay, I have something  for you. It will take some minor modification. The rotor is from a 1971 Ford LTD. The wheel bearings to use are set 12 and set 13. I didn't look up a seal, but that's not a problem.

The Scarebird rotor is actually for a 95 to 99 Ram 1500. The OD is 11.610". The LTD rotor is  11.730" You may, or may not have to turn the OD of the rotor for caliper clearance. The LTD rotor is .020" deeper front to back than the Ram Rotor. So you might have to space the inner bearing out from the shoulder, but most likely not. Will that work?

Quote from: "kb426"^^^^
That sounds real simple.

Can't I just weld something............ Or wire something. Those are simple for me.

416Ford

I was able to pull the wheels tonight.
Front rotors are 11-5/8" OD, rear seal is 2.6" OD and the rim center is 3-3/8"
My rims will fit a 3" center and should not have an issue with the rotors. I will not have in issue with the LTD rotor .020" deeper.

Looked at the rear and did some measuring.
Rear in the truck is 65-1/4" outside to outside of drum and the wheels would fit great with a 58-1/2" OS to OS min.
It is an offset rear and the spring perches are 40-1/2" C.C. perches are welded on by someone, not factory and are 7-1/2* off level.

I have an offset 9" on the shelf that is 56-3/8" flang to flang no axles in it at the moment. My perches are 40-1/8 C to C and they are at 10* I Think it wold be a good swap if  i find the right axles.
Inner races are part number 51098

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UZ3VBk5GmLYWf4Xv7

416Ford

Quote from: "enjenjo"The wheel bearings to use are set 12 and set 13

How do I look this up Frank?

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

The bearing numbers are not for the stock 71 bearings. The set numbers are Timken numbers for cones with the correct cup. SKF crosses directly.Federal Mogul are A12 ana A13. C/R is BR12 and BR13.

416Ford

Would the  RAYBESTOS 6014R be the rotor for this then?

What are the thoughts on the narrower rear  i have? I see the factory should have been 61-1/4" outside of axle.

enjenjo

Quote from: "416Ford"Would the  RAYBESTOS 6014R be the rotor for this then?

What are the thoughts on the narrower rear  i have? I see the factory should have been 61-1/4" outside of axle.

Yes that would be the rotor. 58" should be fine but be careful on rim offset that the tire doesn't hit the bed on the inside.