What? Happened to that thing!? 😮

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "phat46"What? Happened to that thing!? 😮

First a deer hit, then a "bodyman".
Matt

kb426

What is the final destination? Body and paint or everything?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"What is the final destination? Body and paint or everything?

:cry: Needs more Bullitts :idea: and a busted window to shoot from ;) :D :lol:

I'd imagine just paint since it came in tore down, ready to strip. Since the ignition box is still under the front hood, I would also venture that the plan is to just paint the outside. But... sometimes after people see their ride in progress, they opt to have us do some put together. If I had to guess, its that Pantera man will have us put the rear lid back on after polish and thats it.

Because he has these great little paper tags marking everything, for one thing. Hope I don't get in too much trouble for incinerating a couple of them, I caught the grille masking paper on fire today. :shock:  :arrow:  

:-}

That reminds me... I ought to round up the before pics and try to get them on the first page. :idea:

I think today was the third day on it, or the second full day. :roll:
Matt

idrivejunk

The are the beforest I have. Took a (very unpleasant, thank goodness for new guys ;) ) week or more to knock just the body down to metal. I have been tasked with this fender and the one rust hole, front bottom of left quarter. Not the right door. However, I see that door skins are available and $450. Fenders are "call for price" and the pic looks like those are patched or fabbed. And I heard ten grand for one. In case anyone wonders, the fenders are not bolt-on. The steel on it seems to me to be 20 gauge. I am patching with 18 though.

It did get DA sanded with 80 grit while being masked, no pic of that.

Matt

idrivejunk

Thats all on that spot for now. On to the next most severe area-

The MIG dots quenched by a wet rag are my shrinking method in severe cases like this.

Four rounds of zap, shrink, grind, repeat were required and this last one was with multiple dots for each shrink. Pretty severe case but it did respond to my persistence.

I have been bumping the side back into shape while cooling welds and stuff. Ran some 320 on a sandpaper roll over it-

These other areas around the headlight door are probably still affecting the area, so I stopped here on the top middle section-

It is very rainy so I fogged rattle can etch on it-

The young ones are still stripping the engine hood.

Matt

chimp koose

JEEZ did someone drive that over a cliff ?  What year of waffle iron is it ! You truly have a set of skills  By the time I beat something like that back to flat it would be 3" longer  :lol:

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"JEEZ did someone drive that over a cliff ?  What year of waffle iron is it ! You truly have a set of skills  By the time I beat something like that back to flat it would be 3" longer  :lol:

I believe the current owner bought it knowing it had hit a deer and been fixed. I think they made them in 1973 and 4, don't know. Actual metal shapers and welders would be quick to point out that everything I have done is all metal no-nos. Use of hammers and MIG welder are worthy of ridicule in some circles. I use the wrong stuff and do it wrong, but somehow I stay hired. :?  :lol:
Matt

chimp koose

Proof is in the results . Keep on doing what you're doing . As I understand there are not that many collision REPAIR people around , more like collision panel REPLACE people . As for rust repair , while there are now many better products available for stopping rust , there are fewer shops willing to do rust repair . Collision shops want to replace dented panels . Restoration shops fix rust . Are those who profess to know better working in collision or repair ? Have they been doing it as long as you ? Are they working within customer budgets or on the" throw money at it "cars where the most expensive method of repair is used to either pad the bill or help the client be able to claim $xxxxxxx dollars spent on restoration in an effort to impress others . Me , I am impressed by people who can fix stuff  and also by the people who have it done out of the passion for their car.  (think Jay Leno )Sorry guys , rant over.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"Proof is in the results . Keep on doing what you're doing . As I understand there are not that many collision REPAIR people around , more like collision panel replace people . As for rust repair , while there are now many better products available for stopping rust , there are fewer shops willing to do rust repair . Collision shops want to replace dented panels . Restoration shops fix rust . Are those who profess to know better working in collision or repair ? Have they been doing it as long as you ? Are they working within customer budgets or on the" throw money at it "cars where the most expensive method of repair is used to either pad the bill or help the client be able to claim $xxxxxxx dollars spent on restoration in an effort to impress others . Me , I am impressed by people who can fix stuff  and also by the people who have it done out of the passion for their car.  (think Jay Leno )Sorry guys , rant over.

CK, I'll have you know I thoroughly enjoyed that.  :D  Laughed out loud and still smiling. You've got spirit and express yourself well! Much obliged, I think you pegged it. Much obliged, sir. 8)  The medium solution to most things is mostly the most popular choice. The other guys are missing out, I reckon. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Rag on a stick hemi Barra. Sweet. Getting paint sans mock up so he can drive drive drive. 8)
Matt

idrivejunk

Heres a yard varmint pic for Tony. My friend lady had twins in the backyard today. Middle of town!

Matt