Gas Tank Ideas Needed

Started by 50 F1, December 10, 2018, 07:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 F1

I'm building a engine run stand and looking for ideas for a fuel tank. I don't really want to buy a small fuel cell. To much $$
I have seen allot of guys just use a regular gas can.
I need same ideas.
Thanks Mike

kb426

I had 2 thoughts. The 1st being a marine tank like they used for outboards in the past, the 2nd being a motorcycle tank. When people drop their bike, the dented tank becomes cheap. This is assuming all you need is a pitcock and not an efi pump inside.
TEAM SMART

phat46

When I had a sandrail I used a new metal five gallon gas can for a tank. I soldered a barbed fitting on the side about 1/4" from the bottom and ran a line to the fuel pump. Was supposed to be temporary for one trip, but I never changed it.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "phat46"When I had a sandrail I used a new metal five gallon gas can for a tank. I soldered a barbed fitting on the side about 1/4" from the bottom and ran a line to the fuel pump. Was supposed to be temporary for one trip, but I never changed it.

This was my thought. You could use a 5gal race gas pail and it would be properly labeled for firemen. But I was also thinking it could have a mounting ring for swappable salvaged flanges for an in-tank EFI pump or for carbed car sending units.
Matt

Digger

I used a one gallon garden tractor tank on our run stand.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Arnold

Quote from: "chimp koose"x2

^ Marine tank. The hose sticking out of a gas can will keep the can stable until it runs low..then it will get spilled. Use a marine tank and the primer bulb. Better than cranking dry engines or putting gas down the intake. Plus you can pressurize and check for leaks too.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Arnold"
Quote from: "chimp koose"x2

^ Marine tank. The hose sticking out of a gas can will keep the can stable until it runs low..then it will get spilled. Use a marine tank and the primer bulb. Better than cranking dry engines or putting gas down the intake. Plus you can pressurize and check for leaks too.

Great Idea BUT....Don't most of the primer bulbs only have 1/4 " hose   :?:  :?:  :idea:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

50 F1

Thanks for all the info, ideas and comments.

How much fuel will a mild SBC use during a 20 min cam break in?

Will the 1/4" fittings on the marine tanks and surplus tanks supply enough gas?

Thanks Mike

chimp koose

How many horsepower boat motor will feed off one of those tanks ? How many horse power will your motor make at 2000 rpm ? how much fuel under no load ? I would bet you are ok . Lots of sbc cars came with 5/16 fuel line as stock . A sbc going 60mph @ 2500ish rpm down the highway in a full sized car for 20 minutes will likely not burn 2 gallons .

Arnold

Quote from: "chimp koose"How many horsepower boat motor will feed off one of those tanks ? How many horse power will your motor make at 2000 rpm ? how much fuel under no load ? I would bet you are ok . Lots of sbc cars came with 5/16 fuel line as stock . A sbc going 60mph @ 2500ish rpm down the highway in a full sized car for 20 minutes will likely not burn 2 gallons .

I needed one of those primers last summer when I had a wonky fuel pump.. diaphragm (wrecked from too much ethanol in the gas I bought) I could not find mine. I needed to splice it in with a pressure gauge.
  The local marina had them..a few different sizes..as well as a sort of "universal" one with different fittings.
  The marine tank set up will supply a 235hp outboard at full throttle redline  at 90mph. 1-5 gallon tank=5 minutes. 4-5 gallon tanks..20 minutes...SOoo..1 gallon per minute. Really hammerring an LS3 454 or a W34 455 Olds can get you into the 3mpg territory at 100mph..that is 30 gal/hr or 1/2 gallon per minute.
  This on 1/4"
  Some of the primers have a crimped on fitting on the bulb..(the universal does not)..but you can easily get them off..not sure how big a barb you can get in there? I also don't know just how much fuel can be run  through the bulb..clearly more than the above.

As ck said..you will be fine.
  20 minute cam break in..unloaded on an engine stand..an sbc..just about impossible to get an sbc into 6/7 mpg territory. You are not going to be able to burn 5 gallons in 20 minutes at full rpms and power. I am guessing MAYBE a gallon..not even that.
If you are going through any gas at all unloaded..you are too rich..fuel dumped into oil or something..

My .02..I don't like cam/engine  break in's on run in stands. I like to drive them..light to moderate load..1500/2000 up to about 4000..back down..etc. You can go from something that is ok on the stand with no load to just no good under load in a vehicle in a blink.

Big cams,big carbs,not pressurizing the fuel system..cranking them dry..flooding them..cranking them more..fuel wash..
ya..no good for cams.