Need some advise on Re- Wire job!

Started by BFS57, October 14, 2018, 10:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Me again with some wiring problems to solve!
Had a guy that needed his mustang re wired. This car was not of my choosing but another friend that does mechanical work! As usual I need some $$$ so I figure I can do it and everybody will be happy!! NOT THE CASE!!
The owner had this car at a shop that had abruptly closed due to a death of the owner!
I found an AAW kit I think will work (builder series 19) seems to have plenty of the right things!
This car kicks my butt every day I work on it!!! If it isn't fixing something that the owner had installed that wasn't hooked up its been fixing non working items or missing items! Example; Front headlights have LED Halos plus HID lights! ( Had to buy a special headlight harness with ceramic plugs and relays direct from CHINA!! Absolutely no instructions at all!!! Then the tail lights are some digital computer thing that has a million wires and absolutely instructions that have no information to hook them up!!!. As well as Dakota Digital VHX Gages!!!
Believe it or not I got everything figured out and hooked up. Tested and seemed to work until last nite! I decided to plug in the VHX gage pod to see what it looked like with the lights on, So I did and "NOTHING"! Not only that but had the column switch to emergency blinker but now the third brake light was also flashing! Im thinking to reverse the brake switch wires to cure that! But the weirdest was when I turned off the headlight switch, the headlights didn't go off!! Thinking some kind of "feedback" problem with the Dakota Digital, the brain has a headlight input on it so I hooked it up as I found a wire in with the instrument branch that was labeled headlights!
The back up lights were all wires cut and were pretty messed up inside (rust and crap) so got 2 new ones and wired those to find that the NSS and Backup switch was (combined) not working right! So now thats fixed, ALL OF IT"
Anyway anyone having any knowledge about why the lights stayed on when I switched them off give me a shout!!!
Thanks,
Bruce

enjenjo

My guess is the headlight relays were finding a ground somewhere, or the power and ground terminals on the relays are reversed. Are these typical DIN relays?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Quote from: "enjenjo"My guess is the headlight relays were finding a ground somewhere, or the power and ground terminals on the relays are reversed. Are these typical DIN relays?
Hello;
Yes typical relays! The headlight system I got was completely wired and seemed to work just fine!!! this just happened last nite!!
I took the relay for the low beam off and replaced it with one I knew was working, no difference, then I dis connected the low beam feed wire and tested it, had voltage!!! So it's someplace inside the car!
This system (AAW) does not give a feed wire for headlights to the light switch. Instead The high and low beams are switched at the high beam floor switch. I don't know what controls the headlights from the light switch but they would go on and off with the switch!
Im thinking now that the headlight switch has become defective!!! Everything in this car mis ready to let go!!!! :evil:
Don't know what to look at next!

Bruce

BFS57

Quote from: "enjenjo"My guess is the headlight relays were finding a ground somewhere, or the power and ground terminals on the relays are reversed. Are these typical DIN relays?

Hello;
Yes normal relays!! I replaced the low beam one with another that I knew was working. Nothing!! Then I dis connected the low beam feed wire and the voltage was on from the dash!! Tore out the dash again!!!!! Then took out the headlight switch! Im thinking that the headlight switch has become defective!!! Now I have to look at that and see if I can find something!!
The headlight wire does not connect to the light switch so I have to find out what "tells" the headlights to come on.
Everything was working terrific till last night!!
Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

Bruce

enjenjo

I just dealt with a new headlight switch that was defective last month. what type of switch is it? The one that I had that was bad was a reproduction GM switch.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Quote from: "enjenjo"I just dealt with a new headlight switch that was defective last month. what type of switch is it? The one that I had that was bad was a reproduction GM switch.

Hello
This was the stock 1969 Ford Mustang switch! Ordered another will get it tomorrow around noon!
Switch was definitely bad!! Traced it all the way!

Bruce

BFS57

Quote from: BFS57
Quote from: "enjenjo"I just dealt with a new headlight switch that was defective last month. what type of switch is it? The one that I had that was bad was a reproduction GM switch.

Hello
This was the stock 1969 Ford Mustang switch! Ordered another will get it tomorrow around noon!

Bruce[/quot

Hello;
OK got that all ironed out. Now to wiring Courtesy lights! So far My ida of using the 69 door switches hasn't worked! One switch has two wires in and a ground out. So I wired the hot (what I thought was) wire to the switch, ran the other hot wire coming out to the pass door switch and then the fun began upon connecting a hot lead from the harness (battery) The darn thing blew a fuse!!
Now I tried to figure it out with a electrical meter and that didn't work so Quite frankly Im stumped! wanted too make it simple. You open eithor door and the two led lights I have come on, close all doors and they go out! Now I don't know if I need different switches or what??

Bruce

wayne petty

by the way.. do you have a 69 mustang wiring diagram to assist you.. ?  

pm me if you need one..

papastoyss

Quote from: "BFS57"

Hello

Bruce

In the past year I have wired 2 cars w/ AAW kits, both have had defective headlight switches, went to O'Reillys & got another bad switch, one more time got a good one. The first time, the mounting bracket was bent wrong, the stem would not engage the plunger when mounted in the dash but worked fine out of the dash. The last one was last week in my own car, there was a bad connection internally, pull the stem all the way out & the lights would come on then go out, push back in slightly & the lights would work
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!