Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Well here we are at a week. The paint is off it and a few dents got fixed. :roll:  Thankfully my mind is beginning to digest the task at hand. Still find myself watching the clock but today my left hemisphere decided to show up and feed an IDJ-sounding thought to the right. Off I went! At mud bog speed. Big Mike was over by my stall working on a heavy bracket and had, bless his ittle heart, brought his chop saw up there.

Well, he finally walked away and a few minutes later, aw heck I need more tubing! I whipped up these front to rear bolted / screwed five foot pieces then tacked cross pieces in. Then I took it out of the car cut tacks and squared my box o' tubing on the floor. Reinstalled box, simply moved the tail of the body to fit the box and screwed the whole box back in.

Mental plan is to make a similar rig at the bottom, A pillars to tail corner braces. Then when I align centers of the upper and lower box, I can link them and reference the common center line and attaching panels to even out the B pillar bottom location. When thats in, I can center, plumb, level, square, whatever... body to frame and add table legs to the lower box to hold it there, bolting it at a few body mount holes. Plus I can extend the jig for use during the top chop. Also take body panels on and off while the car holds still, and the framework could be attached to either the body or frame or both, or serve as a body stand / dolly, or maybe even hold it on a rotisserie. If I make it good enough. Most of this tubing will probably morph into permanent body bracing pieces eventually. I do not plan to be the least bit bashful about adding weight or solidity to the body. Should be plenty of steel to screw interior to!

Matt

idrivejunk

Hey guys I know loading up on body modifications isn't everyone's cup of tea but I'd like to know what you think about rounded door top corners like a 33?  Can do, I just don't know how it would grab folks. How about rounding all four corners, would I need to do the bottom if I do the top?

Would that do more for the looks than just flush with square corners? I mean would you see it as mod bling or as actually trick looking? Or is it a goof idea? Have you seen one done? If you got a opinion, spew it please. :)

I would also like to make a more skimpy drip rail. Does anyone prefer or loathe shaved drip rails?

Thanks. 8)
Matt

Carnut

I thought this was a pretty cool mod for a Model A.

GPster

I think that modification involves loosing the visor and re placing the front of the roof with the roof from a '32. The windshield is from a '32 also. That body is a '28/'29 Model A and you're dealing with a '30/'31. There is a later Model A that some refer to as the '31 1/2 that has different windshield lines and I think it is without the visor. You might look at it and do some photo shopping. Remember you're thinking about a $300.00 roof panel that might complicate the visor removal. GPster

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Carnut"I thought this was a pretty cool mod for a Model A.

I'm in, on the engine with elephantitis. But oh... the bodywork...um...

Aha! See now thats why I'm here. I had no idea later roofs were a thing. That A pillar / cowl area is a train wreck, to me, but that lid... :idea:

It would be extremely simple and easy to throw in rounded top door corners. I'll be right there already doing work.

This looks like a job for IDJ  :lol:  and his photoprestidgitorialism. Unless we the people at the shop have free reign. Boss pointed him at Murray but I need to see some stuff.

I will be hunting for a good side, rear, front view of a five window like this with a 3/2 chop. I forgot to measure the height of a stock door window opening before I split for home, can anybody hook me up?

And does anyone have opinions about rear window height? I'd pretty much want a rifle slot myself, like on an armored truck. :lol:
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "GPster"I think that modification involves loosing the visor and re placing the front of the roof with the roof from a '32. The windshield is from a '32 also. That body is a '28/'29 Model A and you're dealing with a '30/'31. There is a later Model A that some refer to as the '31 1/2 that has different windshield lines and I think it is without the visor. You might look at it and do some photo shopping. Remember you're thinking about a $300.00 roof panel that might complicate the visor removal. GPster

Somebody welded this visor on.  :roll:  and wiped mud over it. I am curious what the $600 ribbed roof we are getting covers. I say we can keep or ditch the visor, whichever is preferred. Personally, I think I would want a bedded windshield or a later flip-out kind rather than this pivot arrangement. Thats an area where I have not studied options yet.

You guys can see why I feel behind at the start. I did not know that any body mods were being planned but now here I am. I needed a semester of Model A 101 first. No fear of the metal work though.

Before I'll make suggestions about much, I'll have to know what I like on these cars. Guys, please do show me everything cool or off the wall you can think of that you've seen done to them. :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Hey Matt ...lookit your PM's ....

Bob.. :wink:

Much obliged :!:  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Got some interesting other mod ideas off the web, but, first little five minute photo edit here. I dropped and tilted the lid the last amount I could to make it look chopped and good, but necessarily good and chopped. Know what I mean? I think I might be liking more rake than others. I can't quantify this chop amount in inches but how does it grab you? The plan is 3" in front and two in back.

Matt

idrivejunk

Crickets, really? Aw. :cry:

I'll take that as unanimous approval. Not one person I have showed that to had other suggestions. :)

Bottom half of support structure turned out to be square enough made in the car.  :D  So no shop floor squaring up session required but the bottom box is removable in halves. The angle stock uprights are plumb. I am happy to report that as she sits, the support structure is square to within a max of 1/4" difference measuring from a corner of my upper box to the opposite corner on the lower. Now I can quantify variations around the body.

Such as the tail panel welded in crooked with the left quarter way in and down at the rear. Study hard, bodywork enthusiast. Spot the variations that wake up the crash fixer in me.

Matt

idrivejunk

I told my friends Jack and Stan to move aside, then I started butchering just like I would if'n I was gonna eat the thing.

Matt

GPster

When you go to stiffen this body up  run a support from where the back window section bolts to the  upper quarters/ quarter window to the floor. I did this with mine and fastened plywood to it and used it separate the driver/passenger  compartment from the trunk. It will keep the body from swaying which can be bothersome with the cowl and "A" pillar being so solid. It also leaves more room behind the seat so that there is more room for interior. GPster

Canuck

Quote from: "GPster"When you go to stiffen this body up  run a support from where the back window section bolts to the  upper quarters/ quarter window to the floor. I did this with mine and fastened plywood to it and used it separate the driver/passenger  compartment from the trunk. It will keep the body from swaying which can be bothersome with the cowl and "A" pillar being so solid. It also leaves more room behind the seat so that there is more room for interior. GPster

Similar idea, 1/2" sq tube verticals from rear panel framing to sub rail, horizontals welded side to side with a "X" frame to stabilize.  Covered with welded on 18 ga. and filler wings on each side with fire stop filler so the whole assembly serves as a firestop for the trunk mounted gas tank.

[/img]

Really firms up the whole body.
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

idrivejunk

Thats the perfect place to stiffen the body and create a rear firewall at the same time. If you look closely, you'll see that yesterday I added uprights to my support structure in that very spot, and I intend to attach bracing to the sturdy flange there. However, the roof seam and T will be eliminated.
Matt

idrivejunk

Now we're cooking with gas! :)

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt