Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Got that panel below grille tacked up like I like and all this looks pretty fair to me-

The oil fill thing got knocked in the head first half hour. Remove cap-

Trim existing cap-

Add hokeyness-

Started a drawing of Dad's red rod yesterday-

Matt

idrivejunk

Bracketry growing behind the grille shell. In the center I just put a tab on the back of the shell for the bottom panel to slip up under (not shown)-

I say growing because it makes sense to connect side bracket to front-

Cut fold crease tear lick  :P  like making valentines.

With the sides cut off I bent and centered this to hug bottom of shell, then folded the sides an inch in from the as-stamped folds. I let the beads hang out the ends of the brake and bent both sides at once. Got out the level and tacked ends to center with them upright and got the look I was going for-

Look at the lower A arm acorn nuts. Washer partially obscured on one side, other not. The passenger side end piece needs a trim, thats all-

You can see that need from clear up here but aside from that I think we're just about in spitting distance-

And all that sheetmetal out front at the tips will move by hand for eyeball tweaking to a heart's content. For the most part, I'd say if a fellow ain't studying real hard on it, nothing should stand out and thats the goal. Had to get to that point to feel like I can proceed with getting a headlight bar back on it. Saving the blisters for dessert kinda. ;)

I have some bonus content buildup for later on. Glad to be back on the job and man I like walking up to this car now, its a tidy little fat hot chunk looking all sassy out back. :)

Did I say I can't wait to do blisters? :)  I wanna look at it with those on it. Is that why so many thread views are stacking up? The suspense. :wink:  :arrow:
Matt

kb426

The lack of primer on one side causes optical illusions. Seems that extension looks longer than the other side. :) Are blisters the final decision for the hood sides?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Yes as I pointed out, that lower panel needs a trim on one side. Nobody else seems concerned about finding out stuff like if one side is longer. Whether its ready to paint or not is all I know of. Weld the lower panel, make provisions for a headlight bar, blisters, done. Stuff like fender braces and trunk struts are concerns for the assembler, I'll just try to zing through whats left on outer panels and yell "Done!" then for all I know it might join the 51 in the icebox.

Probably once blisters are in, it will be taken away.  :arrow:

So I may just go tackle those today and rush them through. There sure are much neater ways to terminate the fender front tips but I don't see any interest in that.
Matt

idrivejunk

Blisters, v2.0. Moved up 3/4" and re-e-wheeled with the next-to-roundest roller. They still match, and length didn't change. This side is still just bolted-

With this one bolted down flat and panel across knees, using hammer and dolly I knocked and then even wheeled to move the bulge higher to clear the VCT connector better without replacing the blister. Then trimmed and tacked. Additional wheeling to shape or expand the bulge is now still possible and will be again after welding. All of that will tend to continue creating an overall bulge in the panel, which I think a little more of will still be OK-

Come on inside, let's see what the damage is. Stick your dome thru the grille hole and look left and cough-

Thats just as high up as she can go. That connector is where faith is required. I believe our man can arrange a connection with the two male pins deep down in the device side. I will consult prior to final welding but as you see, the weld joint doesn't have to define the edge of the bulge. Planishing will also come into play-

Study the clip. I whittled it back a smidge with a file but yeah, ditch that connector body and bend the existing pins or female terminal ends and this ought to work. Y'think :?:
Matt

idrivejunk

Getting the headlight bar straight. First, checking the new bar. If you study the pic, you'll see it is less than perfect just like the grille shell-

This sits evenly and is close to centered but requires a half inch height difference in fender lip height at the bracket bolt. So be it-

Matt

idrivejunk

Just about have a blister welded and the panel below grille is one piece again-

World's largest BB gun-

Matt

kb426

The headlight bar is turning into a lot of work.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Good eye. Having made that observation myself, first I did that double check of the bar then I advised if pads go under the bar, lets get those before I commit. Continue bearing in mind that bar and grille  :T)  don't go to a this car.  :wink:

Before putting my welder shoes on for the day, I had the bar sitting like I want in just holes through the fenders, bolted to the brackets. What the under-rubber looks like will affect how my mounting flats look. Ebay, couple days. Perfect time to attack blisters, says the forward thinker in me. :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Bunch more pics of the same thing again? Sure. Whole bunch. I am calling this hood side done-

Yep, it clears. Not by much. Trimming will have to do the rest or I'll have to do more work and it will get more messy. I think the blister is on par with the rest of the panel after an afternoon of finesse.

Matt

kb426

Looks appropriate. I'm used to blisters so I think that is a better option than some of the other methods that might be used. I don't think the coyote is an attractive engine so covering it up would be my choice. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Thats did, unless I find out different. Looks like I have mop up to do on the green disco smog not so safety bumper car next week.

Matt

chimp koose

side shot looks nice . Blisters fit the look 8)

kb426

Is that the wall of fame on the purlin behind the a? Blister looks good.
TEAM SMART